Coopers Community

EEK! Temp too high?

Barfly

I just went down to the shed to check on the brew I made yesterday afternoon. The fermenter temp is 34oC! Do I need to cool it down? If so, how should I go about that? I was gonna just soak a towel in cold water and wrap it round the fermenter. Is this the way to go?? :shock:

G'day barfly'

next summer I'm going to try that insulated cooler thingo somebody showed us recently here.

Circumstances have occasionally forced me to brew in some very hot weather, and I notice the off-yeast skunky smell as I bottle, but it seems to clean up OK after about 3 months in the bottle.

I guess I haven't yet copped a temp which kills the Yeast. That would be bad karma.

Kip

Wow I don't think I'd want my brew at 34! A wet towel is a great way to cool it a bit, try some frozen water bottles around it, or drop the fementer into a tub of water say 100mm deep with the frozen water bottles in that and a wet towel around it soaking up the water to help. I have also had a fan blowing on mine, and mabe a cooler place might be appropriate. Good luck.

Archived