Coopers Community

SCHUTZENFEST IN ADELAIDE

c28979

:D To all Coopers Club members dont forget to come to the 40th annual Schutzenfest this year as it is on Friday the 16th and Saturday 17th of January and COOPERS is the only Australian beer available as well as being a major sponsor. Glen will be there so look out for him, and you can even win money in the Beer stein lifting comp on the Saturday. If you are lucky and find out who I am I might just shout you a COLD coopers as well. There will be plenty to eat as well as dancing and music.

For more Infomation about times and entertainment you can check out the web site at --

www.sagermanassociation.asn.au./schutzenfest.htm

Hope to see you all there and Cheers to HOT days and COLD COOPERS beer

• 2 weeks later...

Gday,

Went along, enjoyed the Coopers, thought the event is a bit thin these days. Far less 'German' feel compared to the Hahndorf variety. I reckon there is room for more activities that get crowd involved, with a German feel. What they are - Ill leave up to the German club!

And as for the German beers - had a bad experience.

Cant remeber the name of the beer, but a mate and I ordered three steins of a fancy Deutsche brew. My mate's lived in Germany for a year, and likes the stuff. Fair enough - it came in a stubby, poured into steins. And we read the stubbies to pass the time while waiting. Hmm - "Alkohol Frei" written all over it!

My school and his conversational German is good enough to know what that means. We made the poor bugger take it back and get a real beer (well, it was only Dab, oh well).

My point - not a mention anywhere that this stuff was the fake variant.

As I say, the Cooper's was good!

Hi William,

Im sorry you where given a non alcoholic beer but I checked out as to why you would have been given the beer you mention. You would only have been served a non alco beer if you requested it, as it was clearly displayed on large price boards. As for the German feel here in Adelaide I will forward your comments on to the German club to consider for next year. I feel that 25-30,000 people every year means most people are enjoying the SCHUTZENFESTand what it has to offer, but we are always looking to improve the event.

Hi

I also went to the Schutzenfest while back in Adelaide recently. I must agree with William, it has lost a lot of its 'german' feel. Having not been for the previous 2 years i was keen to see how it had changed/improved but came away largely disappointed. Its seems to have become a generic festival with a german influence rather than a true german festival. I did enjoy the german beer though! As for the plastic steins, i understand why this change has been made but to still charge $7 for them was a bit steep. And considering this was the 40th year was expecting more. :(

Archived