Coopers Community

Original Pale Ale Brew

c43976

On Saturday i mixed my first Pale Ale Brew. I followed the video instructios again as this is only my second brew. When i mixed the Lager that comes with the kit, the airlock was bubbling within 3 hours, it is now Wednesday,4 days after i mixed the Pale Ale and still nothing. Is this normal? Is there a different process to brewing Pale. Any help or tips would help. Thanks

Look at the FAQ section on the HomeBrew page of our website.

NEVER, NEVER trust you airlock!!

Sometimes your fermenter will not seal 100% so the CO2 produced during fermentation will escape via the path of least resistance.

Look for a scum ring, condensation on the inside of the lid, sediment build up in the base, draw off a sample and it should be cloudy/turbid/foamy.....and the ultimate test - use your hydrometer to check that the gravity (density) is going down from day to day. The gravity of the brew when you first mixed it should be around 1036-1040.

Thankyou Paul

There does seem to be condensation on the inside of the lid, there is also evidence of froth when i move the fermenter. But there is NO scum ring. Should i maybe leave it in the fermenter for a few extra days just to be safe? Seeing 23 litres of Pale Ale poured down the sink would really make me cry.

Also can you tell me what is the best brewing sugar to use with Pale, and any other tips for Pale? as im determined to get it perfect.

Again i would appreciate any help you can give me

Cheers

Hi mate just look use your Hydrometer it's the only real way to check if your brew is going ok! If the sg is low like 1010 or so she has been brewing ok but if it's high (not sure what Pale starts at) like 1050 or so then its probly not doing to much and you might have to pich some more yeast in there if she hasn't gone off. But most of the time it's a gas leak in the fementer some where. Try the air lock gromet i've had a few leak there and pached on the run with blu tac.

Archived