Coopers Community

First Batch (Episode2!)

Barfly

I had a buddy call over today (he's an VERY experienced brewer) and gave him a sample of my so-called "beer".

His first comment on opening the bottle was the very strong yeast smell, which he said would go away if I let the bottle "breathe" for a few minutes.

As an experiment he then took my Coopers mug, my best Pewter, and a fresh chilled glass, and poured equal amounts into each from the same bottle.

We then took a taste from each one. Much to my surprise, the beer is extremely drinkable (too much so for the Minister for Discipline's liking!), but ONLY from a glass. When drunk from the pewter, or from the Coopers stainless steel, the beer becomes very sharp on the tongue, and has an uncomfortably bitter after-taste.

I have never come across a variation in taste this huge before. Why would my beer taste so horrid out of anything but a glass?

My mug lives in the freezer also. The thing that puzzles me most is that pre-pakaged beer tastes great from the mug. It only seems to be my home brew that is affected.

I was wondering if "priming" my mug again, this time using home brew, might solve the problem.

Any of you guru's got any bright ideas? I HATE drinking my brew from a glass!!

Archived