Coopers Community

Brewing toucan stouts

Nick

I have been brewing and stockpiling stout for the colder months. After bottling i always clean and sterilise the FV and then start i new batch straightaway. All of my batches are now Toucans using OS stout and dark ale.

My question is this...can i bottle and then add to 2 new cans of wort directly to the leftover trub without cleaning and steralising. I never use hot water to dissolve the wort as my tap water does a good enough job straight from the tap when i give it a good stir.

If i can do this, would i need to add extra yeast?

Hey Nick,

I've done this practise now and again. There is no harm in it. There is a lot more trub which isn't a good thing but if you aree careful you can manage it.

You shouldn't need to add anything else. there is sooo much yeast in there that your next brew will really GO OFF!

Hey Nick,

I've done this practise now and again. There is no harm in it. There is a lot more trub which isn't a good thing but if you aree careful you can manage it.

You shouldn't need to add anything else. there is sooo much yeast in there that your next brew will really GO OFF!

Thanks Chad, i cant see a problem either. The only thing that i reckon may cause a drama, is the gunk left behind when the krausen collapses. It is normally hard a black and will sit on the side of the FV for an hour or so while i'm bottling. Even with the lid on, could this be a source of infection?

Archived