Coopers Community

Hi there

Coyote

G'day there.

I have just started brewing again after several years spell. I was at my sons a couple of weeks ago and tasted his home brew. A Thomas Coopers. he could not recall the exact type but I think it was a lager. Well I was impressed and have my second batch brewing now. bottled my first about 3 days ago.

just a question. I have (many years ago) always use glass bottles. are the PET ones okay? I mean does the beer taste the same regardless of the bottle type.

Cheers,

Cliff

Welcome to the forum Cliff! And well done getting back in the game and producing some nice brew!

The answer to your question usually starts debate so I'll kick it off.

I think there is a difference,

I originally started, like most, with PET bottles and now I exclusively use glass (after I fill my keg that is). Its not that one is better than the other, but more like the reason I prefer Coke from a glass bottle rather than a plastic one.

I also prefer glass because in my opinion its a more long term sanitary solution, again this will raise debate but this is more my preference than fact and is going off topic a little.

Whatever you decide the fact remains that using either PET or glass under the guidance of people of the likes of this forum will produce excellent beer [ninja]

Welcome Cliff. ive always used glass due to the fact my mate i brewed with had a couple thousand of them...BUT im going to try PET bottles soon...i travel abit so im thinking glass at home and take pet on travels.....i too beleive its a mind over matter thing regards glass/pet but ive drunk out of pet bottles as lets face it it goes into a mug or glass anyhow and it tasted bloody ok to me. cheers Ned p.s likewise the guys on this forum will not lead you astray (except in the best possible ways) lol. cheers mate

Hi just throwing my 2c worth in,

I too returned to brewing after a spell, and to my mind the consensus seems to be that glass bottles will keep your beer longer and give a truer flavour, but on the other hand are prone to explode if overprimed, or other little mistakes happen.

I'd say from the perspective of someone in the same boat as Coyote, i.e. a little rusty or inexperienced, best to do a few batches with the PET bottles, to avoid a broken glass disaster, then once up to speed you might want to go with glass. It will keep your brew fresh a bit longer and might be marginally better.

If on the other hand you want convenience, don't want to muck about with bottle capping, babying your bottles and get through your beer a bit quicker - as in not have them sit around for longer than a few months, then go for it with the PET bottles longer term.

Yes there probably is a difference flavour wise etc, but you have to make some sort of compromise for convenience or flavour, so choose which you prefer, do both, or experiement with whichever suits you best.

Either way the end result is a satisfying brew you made yourself, and all here would agree there's nothing wrong with that.

Thanks Gents,

To fill you in a bit more, the first batch I bottled was in PET bottles apart for 1.

The reason is that I work in the north east Kimberley's. On 15 day on 13 day off roster. I flew out of Adelaide last Wednesday and even though I had a steady SG result for 2 days I was concerned that it may have needed a day or 2 more in the FV. It was only in there for a week.

I think I will end up brewing while I am away at work and bottling asap after arriving home. This would give me more confidence of less breakage during carbonation. These new carbonation drops make it so much easier and should give consistent result. (maybe they are not that new?)

One thing is I will have to teach the better half how to monitor the SG over the few days before I get home.

Well this a plan.

The only problem is that I may be forced to drink a lot of Commercial beer in order to have the require number of bottles. I guess for the longer term benefits I will make that sacrifice [roll] [biggrin]

Archived