Coopers Community

how long ?

benh18

Hey Ben, i leave my APA at 20deg for 7 days in the brewfridge and then leave it in the FV for a further 7 days at ambient (typically mid 20's) then i bottle and leave it a further 2 weeks in secondary. Then at least a week in the fridge before drinking. reckon everyone has a process that works for them, this is mine.

G'day Ben,

I typically leave my ales at 18c for about 2 weeks, then cc at about 3c for the third week or part thereof, depends when I get a chance to bottle. It can also depend on when fermentation is complete. Then at least 4 weeks in the bottle at 20c (that is if I can wait that long!!! [innocent] ) This usually gives a good result for me.

G'day Ben

I only brew ales, controlled between 16 deg and 22 deg. As I keg I am not in a hurry, without a secondary ferment time in the FV is ageing time for my brew. They go into the keg after between 3 and 4 weeks. But remember I am artificially carbing and I'm not concerned about yeast health once the primary ferment is complete.

I reckon that you should go with two weeks like the other guys are saying.

thanks for the response guys.

i put down a S&W clone on the 14th with a sg of 1046 its now the 20th and primary is still going strong (sg 1024)im in a bit of a pickle as i am going away this weekend 26th for two weeks and i wanted to dry hop it for a week and bottle before i went!!!

i dont really want to leave it till i get back.. im worried im not going to get my dry hop time[crying]

any sugestions??

thanks for the response guys.

i put down a S&W clone on the 14th with a sg of 1046 its now the 20th and primary is still going strong (sg 1024)im in a bit of a pickle as i am going away this weekend 26th for two weeks and i wanted to dry hop it for a week and bottle before i went!!!

i dont really want to leave it till i get back.. im worried im not going to get my dry hop time[crying]

any sugestions??

Ben

There is no need to wait any longer to dry hop. You could have dropped them 2 days ago, I'd get them in today and look to bottle on the 26th before you leave. The other option would be to throw them in commando style on the 26th and bottle when you return. How well you sanitised will be key, the longer you leave the greater the chance of spoilage.

Dry hop it for the 5 or 6 days, bottle it. You can't go wrong. The only mistake you could make is if you don't get your next batch down before you leave town. I often go away for a couple or three weeks at a time for work and I alway make sure I get a brew into the FV before I go. Even if it's a basic K&K brew. It would be a shame to let the brewery to sit idle for this time. It's almost a freeby.[biggrin]

Archived