Coopers Community

Ginger Beer

PB2

• 8 years later...
Our charter, during the development of the Ginger Beer, was to achieve a similar level of sweetness to the popular commercial ginger beers, balanced with a refreshing ginger character.

The use of natural sugars such as fructose, glucose or sucrose would be an option if the average homebrewer had a method for stopping fermentation, pasteurising and artificially carbonating (majority of homebrewers bottle their brew).

Since most homebrewers rely on natural secondary fermentation, we explored the use of lactose but we found the quantity required, lactose is the least sweet of all the natural sugars, produces a syrup-like ginger beer\x85not very nice at all!! Maltodextrin was discounted, as it has virtually no taste (sweetness).

Hi Paul, I am new to this forum and actually joined trying to find out about Brewing Ginger Beer, and had even asked our local brew shop today if any kit was available that didn't have artificial sweetener. Seems to defeat the purpose in a way. I used to make my ginger beer the long way with a plant etc. Great product [biggrin]

Have Coopers considered the use of Xylitol as a sweetener?

It is natural, often organically produced and does not feed fermentation.

I have no idea if it would do anything bad.

Just a thought?

Archived