Coopers Community

help with a leffe blonde style flavour

Acka

Hi all,

I'm very new to the whole home brew thing but am up to my sixth batch so far and am having a great time. my girlfriend likes beer too and she loves leffe blonde and also wheat beers. i have already done a wheat beer which is conditioning now but i want to do a leffe blonde style for her. I have seen on the web that this beer is quite difficult to replicate and that there are many different recipes.

i was thinking this:

a can of good lager malt- eg coopers european

1 (1.7kg) wheat extract(liquid)

glucose(to bump up the alcohol to ~7%)

saaz hops both steeped and dry bagged

yeast?? what yeast??? so many option but i have white labs available close so i'm thinking abbey ale WLP530 or trappist ale WLP 500

what do you all think of this recipe? given my Gf Likes wheat beer??

Any feedback, opinion and advice would be great.

I plan to brew on monday 26 november 2012.

cheers boys

Acka

Hi Anthony,

I've never mashed grains but am willing. how do I do this? where do I buy grain and what cooking utensils would I need?.

Acka

Mashing grains is simply the process of holding a weight of cracked grains in a volume of water at a constant temperature for a set period of time.

The recipe I found & am attempting to follow & convert slightly for you is This All Grain Recipe.

The Pilsner & Munich malts you can buy in liquid extract form. It's the 150gms of Biscuit malt, & the 100gms of Melanoiden malt that you'd have to mash. The rest of the recipe looks fairly straight forward actually.

As far as utensils go, you'll need a cook pot that can safely hold 4-5 litres of water, a cooking spoon to stir it with, & a largish tight weaved strainer, so that you can strain the eventual liquid (created by mashing the grains) into your fermenter.

I would go with the Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) Yeast-Ale. It's a good choice for this beer.

Acka, don't be in a hurry to put this beer down on Monday. Give a few of the forum members a chance to pitch in some more advice to you about brewing this beer. A few of them may have even made this beer style already.

Hold off another week on putting the brew down, & the information you will have gathered in this thread by then will have you well on the way to making a SUPER version of the Leffe Blonde.

Anthony.

G'day Acka Mate

Good to see you are going to make this. I have been watching here for a long while and a few blokes have siad they are wanting to make it but the threads just seem to go dead. Graham sounds like the man with the goods here so hopefully he does as Beerlust says and comes up with some tips. He posted for EddieP under the recipe forum, about page 4, on a Leffe clone and he gave some advice somewhere else as well. From what I can gather you and Beerlust are 100% about the yeast, some belgian brewers say to steer clear of Wyeast 3944 its messy but they say Wyeast 3522 is good for a Wit.

I hope you make one thats out of the box.

Archived