Coopers Community

Beers in Briefs!

LordEoin

The good Lord didn't back up today; he must be sleeping it off [biggrin]

I was actually surprisingly fresh yesterday and spent the whole day sorting out my garden for winter.

Same again today, and it's after building a thirst...

Now, where was I?

Kit: Australian Pale Ale - Fruit Salad

Added: 1kg LDM, 28g Cascade, 28g Amarillo (hops steeped 30min and strained), to 21 liters

Yeast: Safale US05

OG: 1.042

Brew Temp: 20C

Brew Time: 18days

FG: 1.007

ABV: 5.2%

Priming:1.5 drops/500ml btl

Notes: 5star, awesome aroma, mild bitter, retaining head. must make more.

This was my first proper play with different hops and yeast, and it is perfect [biggrin]

11-FruitSalad.jpg

Kit: India Pale Ale

Added: 1kg LDM, 300g dex, to 23L

OG: 1.041

Brew Temp: 18C

Brew Time: 14days

FG: 1.010

ABV: 4.8%

Notes: 4.5star, WOW this one really got nice in the bottle, I remember not liking this much, it was too bitter, it mellowed out nicely (now at 4 months).light head retention, fizzy (but it works with this)

12-IPA.jpg

Kit: Original Dark Ale

Added: 1kg Dark LMD, 300g dex, to 23L

OG: 1.042

Brew Temp: 24C

Brew Time: 6 days

ABV: 4.8%

Notes: 3.5star, made this one in a hurry, poor head retention, not a huge pile of flavor, it's nice, but pretty unremarkable. like watered down Newcastle Brown. fizzy

13-DarkAle.jpg

Kit: International Stout

Added: 550g Wheat LDM, 550g Dark LDM, 500g Dex, to 22L (same as I use for the Irish Stout)

OG: 1.043

Brew Time: 15 days

FG: 1.014

ABV: 4.3%

Priming:Bulk prime 8g/L (meant to do 6 but it was my first bulk prime and messed it up)

Notes: 3.5 star. Not as good as the Irish stout, but nice. too fizzy, but that's my fault. doesn't taste like a stout to me, more like what I was expecting from the Dark Ale. Poor head retention.

14-IntStout.jpg

Kit: WheatBeer 'Shocktop' Clone

Added: 1kg Wheat LDM, 300g dex, zest of 2 valencia oranges + 1/2 tsp ground coriander (boiled for 10 min), to 22L

Yeast - WB06

OG: 1.044

Brew Temp: 22C

Brew Time: 13 days

ABV: 5%

Priming:bulk 7g/L

Notes: 5 star. I love this. It's fantastic. The orange and WB06 go so well together. Not sure what the coriander does, but it is part of perfection, so it stays. Every mouthful is a pleasure. although the wb06 does make for a farty day after. They're my farts, so i don't care [biggrin]

To demonstrate how good this is. it was bottled only 8 weeks ago and it was so tasty 'young' that i only have 9 bottles left because I kept drinking it over the more conditioned brews. It actually tasted its best after about 4 weeks.

Also, I'm super proud of it because I came up with the recipe all by myself.

15-OrangeWheatshocktop.jpg

What was in this mexican marvel?

A fair bit of poetic license [lol] . TBH I couldn't taste it, it may have been like when you drink full bodied red wine then try a Sav Blanc or it may be that the Cerveza kit has no flavour like everyone keeps saying. I will say however that my nose was still working and the aroma from the Cascade and Amarillo was delightful [love] . Anyway next week I will sample one of these up front on a fresh pallet and revisit beer briefs for an update. That's providing you don't mind Eoin.

So it's a Fruit Salad on a Mexican Cerveza base?

It is.

AKA Fruity Mexican or Mexican Fruit Salad, the only thing missing is Coopers recultured yeast. But I was trying to brew as a lager and I was trying to negate the need for added lemon or lime. Temp was around 14'C and it finished at 1.004.

Ooh, lagering a Fruit Salad sounds interesting.

I imagine it will be a more 'crisp' beer, making the hop flavors jump out more.

It makes me wonder what a fruit salad would be like with other yeasts like WB06(hefeweizen).

maybe a combination of Fruit Salad + Shocktop.

I imagine i'd probably **** my pants with the taste.

So yeah, next brew will be a 'Mexican Hefe Zitrus Fr\xfcchten Weizen Bier'.

It sounds like it will kill you if you don't like it...

Kit: international English Bitter with EKG

Added: 500g LDM, 300g dex, 20g EKG(dry hop at start), to 23L

OG: 1.0036

Brew Temp: 19C

Brew Time: 13days

FG: 1.007

Priming:8g/L bulk

Notes: 4star. christ this one is easy to drink. I've nearly finished the pint before i've finished the review. it's a bit more tart than the one with fuggles, and i prefer the fuggles version. the difference in colour confuses me too.. why is this one less red? is it because it's not aged?

16-EBwEastKentGoldings.jpg

At this stage I'm noticing I prefer the lower carbonation.

1.5 drops per 500ml bottle is too much.

If I go back to drops i'll try 1 per 500ml btl, (6g/L)

Ha! If it is better it will make me happy thinking about all the ppl with 750ml bottles trying to figure out ways to split their drops like used to have to [biggrin]

Kit: Sparkling Ale

Added: 1kg LDM

OG: 1.038

Brew Time: 16 days

Notes: 4 star. pretty neutral. slight bittering, not much smell, fizzy (ok, no more 1.5 drops/500ml), it has no 'twang', so maybe i'll stop adding the 300g dex too. it's not bad, just not 'great'. i think a 30g steep of magnum might liven things up a bit. head retention light

17-SparklingAle.jpg

By the way, this is my simple rotation.

It keeps me drinking beer that's about 2 months bottled.

i buy all my bottles to keep them the uniform

I used to use bottles from boxes of beer, but it was a nightmare.

Each box holds 35X500ml bottles.

I'm going to up it a bit to make 2 stacks and have a 4 month rotation.

Eventually, I plan to make it 2 fridges high to the right and 9 boxes high to the left with funtimes/equipment in the middle.

setup.jpg

Kit: English Bitter - Hop Gobbler

Added: 500g LDm, 300g chocolate malt grain(steeped 30 min) 28g fuggle leaf, 25g EHG pellet

OG: 1.016

Brew Temp: 20C

Brew Time: 13days

FG: 1.012

ABV: 2.5%

Priming:8g/L bulk

Notes: 5 star. it still has the nice taste of english bitter, but it has been addeb to with the the grain the gives a brown bread and coffee taste. fuggles poke through with a stouty taste. i don't think it tastes like Hobgoblin though, more like Murphys made love to Heineken, had a baby, then fed it nothing but fruit and yeast until it was old enough to be consumed.[love]

Also, th picture really confuses me. Why has it refracted the light in such a weird way??18-EnglishBitter-HopGobbler.jpg

And that brings me to the end of my presentation for now.

I think I'll drink more Shocktop Clone and ponder the future.

The last few obviously didn't have a huge amount of conditioning, so I'll update them in a few months.

i also have the rest of those beers' brothers on standby, so I'll update their notes as I drink them.

Its not even lunchtime over here and that English Bitter made me thirsty

When I worked in Australia lunchtime was a good time for beer if it was 'fairy beer'...

Aparently the Aussie workman can still do everything just as good after 6 FairyBeers...[biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

I can't remember which brand they were drinking. i only know I stuck to my VB (f*** y'all, i still love VB)

That pretty much brings me up to date.

Maybe some of the notes might change with a fresh pallate on the same brews.

For now though, bringing all my experience so far together, i think that all malt and no dextrose, and hopping to crap (is seep hoping a phrase?) is the way forward..

When I worked in Australia lunchtime was a good time for beer

Well it\u2019s just past lunch and I've been working in the garden all morning and it is a damn fine day. So I thought the Fruity Mexican would be a good thirst quencher, just one 375ml stubbie.

Verdict (a sober one) tastes nothing like a Corona or SOL. But man does it show off the Cascade and Amarillo [love], the Aroma is still delightful but now I am getting a citrus explosion on my taste buds as well.

If you are still brewing with kits and bits and want to find out just exactly what that hop is bringing to your beer give the Cervesa ago. Its like a Cascade and Amarillo tea with an alcoholic kick.

I did a 7-minute boil of the Cascade and a 5-minute boil of the Amarillo, 25 grams each. Nothing fancy just 500 g each of LDM and Dextrose. SG=1.039 and FG 1.004.

I would post a picture but I think everyone here has seen an empty glass [lol]

Archived