Coopers Community

temp drop below 18C??

BunyipR

hey guys

i went away for the weekend. Risky move i know while i have a brew on. but i looked at the weather and i thought it would be ok. but melbourne screwed me again with the weather.

The temp dropped below 18C not sure how long it was that low for, but when i got back it was about 17C.

Ive put it in a nice bath to slowly warm it up. and its not sitting about about 20C.

There is no bubbling coming from the airlock, is that because the yeast has gone to "Sleep" and will wake up again soon.

Its only been 4 days since i started it. i figure it should still be going?

Also there is a funky egg smell coming from it, its barely noticable but its there.

Have i stuffed it. Is there anything i should do??

Thanks guys

Bunyip

Coopers draught would be an ale yeast strain

True.

In my early days of brewing, I used this kit over & over & at poor fluctuating brew temperatures, not knowing any better at the time.

I don't remember an egg smell though.

Beer.

the gravity reading is 1022.

i would assume that means its still fermenting since it needs to be around 1006 yeah?

i used the tooheys special draught tin (i got told by a friend it was a lager - but im happy to be wrong, cos i wouldn't know any better).

i used the packet of yeast that came with the tin.

i had another smell as i took the reading and i think im confusing an egg smell with just strong alcohol. i dont know tho [unsure]

i had a taste and it taste like weak flavour beer with a strong alcohol taste.

Is the kit a Coopers Draught or Coopers Traditional Draught? I believe the former uses ale yeast, the latter uses the combination of ale and lager yeast. I know when I did the Coopers Australian Pale Ale kit which uses the combo yeast, it produced that egg smell at first, but it went away in a day or so. I think the lager yeast was the culprit. I have an APA in the FV right now, but this time I used US-05 (and saved the kit yeast for another brew), and I didn't get that smell.

cool i didnt realise it was Ale. Bill you are a mountain of knowledge, where did you find that out?

I just checked the gravity again and its now 1020 and it taste pretty good.

So it looks like its still going.

and its already got some fizz to it as well.

Bunyip

Archived