Coopers Community

General brewing update

BohemianMohican

Hi all , a few members seemed interested in seeing how my wheat beer turned out so instead of reviving an old thread I thought I'd just post a new one . Brewed a couple of others since then anyway.

Every other bottle of the wheat beer has a really oily , corny , butter aroma & flavour . In every bottle theres a strong zesty tang but apparently thats just wheat beers. So i've decide to let it bottle condition for another week.

I've made a brew for my Dad too & he prefers the can & kilo of raw sugar method.

1.7kg Coopers Real ale

500g CSR raw sugar

250g B&G raw sugar

250g CSR brewing sugar

Coopers kit Ale yeast

dry hopped for the last few days with 30g S. Goldings

Turned out nice , like treacle beer!

Since my wheat beer is on the back burner I've been drinking Coopers mild , Barossa Valley Organic Ale , Gage Atomic Ale & today i bought a 4 pack of the new Sail & Anchor Boa Bind Amber Ale , interesting looking range . Tastes good too.

Speaking of new beers anyone tried Matilda Bay IGP ?

What I'm most proud of in the brewing department lately ;

1kg Brewer's Choice unhopped liquid Amber

500g Carared

30g Northern Brewer

30g Nelson Sauvin

(simple 30min boil)

500g raw sugar

500g comb honey

(I call it comb honey but its the stuff that is like big chunks of wax & honey )

9g US-05

(I used 3g to revive the wheat beer)

There was quite alot of trub with this beer ; one of the hops bags opened during the boil & not all the wax dissolved , very interesting krausen , so I applied a 98c bag of brigalow finnings , cleared it right up.

Tried a bottle today after being in the bottles for 3 days , flat as a tack still but had the flavour , aroma & colour of some of the previously mentioned beers.

Will post another update soon , some pics too maybe , like I promised.

[biggrin]

It would have been better if you revived your old thread at least that way all relative info stays in the one thread rather than all over the place. Nevertheless, it's done now.

Interesting you used 500g carared in the 2nd recipe and honey that includes the wax.

I can honestly never understand why in the world anyone would try their beer so early. It really won't be any different than tasting the hydrometer sample before bottling it. To me that would be just a waste.

Anyhow, I'm glad you like it so far even though I can see room for improvement in time.

Thanks for your input BillK , any advice you'd like to offer will be taken onboard constructively [biggrin] .

I was pretty eager to see how my amber ale would turn out , in the hydrometer flask it honestly looked like a cloudy ,creamy , dirt brown solution. Even tasted like mud , grass & nettles.

But after just a few days in the bottle the colour , flavour & aroma have changed alot. Maybe it was the finings ?

Either way I will leave it another week before tasting again.

Archived