Coopers Community

Long ferment time and low Specific Gravity

MattC10

Hi all... so I have had a batch in my fermenter since August 4. It is a Real Ale kit to which I added 2 lbs of steeped crystal malt and cascade hops as well. Original Gravity 1042. I have had positive pressure in my airlock all this time\u2014even this morning, it is still bubbling albeit very slowly. I took my second specific gravity reading just now and I'm at the same place I was during the week\u20141020 (maybe 1018). So my ABV is about 3.5-3.7% which seems quite low. Should I keep it in fermenter longer? Or just bottle and accept it will be a pretty \u201csessionable\u201d brew. Did I do something wrong to have arrived at what seems like such a low alcohol content? (Was expecting to to be at least 5-6%)

Hi Matt,

Let me get your recipe right.

1.7Kg(3.3lbs.) Real Ale kit

900g (2.lbs.) Crystal malt

cascade hops

?yeast?

?water?

First off. 2lbs. of crystal malt is a lot. Crystal malt should only make up 5-15% of the total grain bill. Crystal malt is not fermentable. It only adding colour, flavour and body to your brew.

You need to have more fermentables in the wort(for example LME, DME, Honey, sugar, etc.)

I'm not sure why the brew conked out at 1.018. I suggest th[unsure] at the yeast have gone to sleep. Try picking up the FV and giving it a gentle swirl and bringing up the temp.

Hi and thanks for your response! I put my brew belt on and have already seen more activity in the airlock \u2014 next time I think I'll add more fermentables too. I'll be posting results of this concoction soon!

\u2014Matt

Archived