Coopers Community

Smack Pack Already Broken

Hey all this is only my second time using a Wyeast smack pack. The first time i broke the inner bags before use as instructed and all was well.

This time i pull it out of fridge where its been in the crisper for a few months untouched although squashed by letuce. This seems to have broken the inner packs and although the outer pack is also airtight im not sure if it will be ok or not.

Any thoughts or experience appreciated thanks.

Thanks smithy i actually opened up the outer pack and only one of the 2 was broken. I cut with scissors that pack and smelt it. was fine smelt ok so pitched that and the pack of yeast that came with the EB Tin. Im hoping they will work well together.

I wouldnt have used the kit yeast, you spent a lot of $ on a speciality liquid yeast and now you have gone and blended it with an unknown generic yeast.

I always make a starter with the liquid yeasts damaged or not, I like the re-assurance, quicker fermentation start and a larger amount of healthy yeast cells.

You have to make it two days early but its not really an effort.

Im sure you still made yummy beer though mate

By keeping the pack in the fridge would have "preserved" the life of the yeast. I doubt the pack had swelled so I would have smacked it anyway to ensure it was well smacked then as it comes to room temp it should swell (3-4 hours at least). Then just pitch it as you would normally.

imo, I reckon it would have been ok if it wasn't swollen when removed from the fridge, smack it and if it swelled then Robert's your Mother's Brother [cool]

Making a starter is still optional.

That was the strange part when i was warming the yeast up it swelled like no tomorrow and when opened it the one burst pack smelt off. I washed around the one still sealed and cut then smelt it. Seemed ok so pitched it with kit yeast i knew the one pack by itslef was an underpitch so now hoping both together isnt overpitch.

Was just EB kit with 1kg LME and 220 grams crystal made to 22 litres. With all the excitment didnt take OG readings only the FG is important to me at this stage as seems to be fermenting well now at 20 degrees. I plan on chucking in 30 to 40 grams EKG dry hop at about day 4 or 5. Thanks all for advice hope it turns out well and not too yeasty tasting.

Archived