Coopers Community

MEX CERVEZA

miket6

Hey Guys, Can some one help me?? Im gonna brew a Mex Cerveza this arvo.....i can 1x be2 and 500g ldm at probably around 18-20c. I saw someone post that two packerts of yeast should be used. is this correct or should i just use the one that comes in the kit.

If you're going to maintain it around 18-20 degrees throughout primary you'll probably be OK with the yeast in the packet. It's an ale-lager yeast mix, so 18-20 is in the sweet spot for the ale, but a little warm for the lager. Won't matter too much, may just get some odd flavours from the lager yeast at that temp, possibly an eggy smell. Nothing to worry about. You'll get good numbers of yeast multiplying, which is the main worry with underpitching I guess.

If you were to drop the temp to lager ferment temperatures - like 13 - you might struggle with just the packet because the ale yeast would probably not work.

FTR, I didn't pitch the kit yeast, I pitched a Saflager yeast that I harvested. I pitched it at about 19 degrees and gradually brought the temp down to 13 degrees over the next 24 hours. It's 8 days into fermentation now.

Hey Guys' date=' Can some one help me?? Im gonna brew a Mex Cerveza this arvo.....i can 1x be2 and 500g ldm at probably around 18-20c. I saw someone post that two packerts of yeast should be used. is this correct or should i just use the one that comes in the kit.[/quote']

Hey Mike

That is not that big a beer and the kit yeast will cope with it quite well. Mostly the kit yeast works for me well; But I won't be using the Ac+L yeast that comes with some kits (inc the Cerveza) again following the result of my Irish Red. Make sure you keep the temp of this yeast at 18'C, I am pretty sure I did but I ended up with a rotten egg smell that is still present in the beer after 3 months in the keg. I had used this yeast 1/2 dozen times prior to this with no issue, however once bitten twice shy.

I've gone off the Mex. I liked it once then not again. However, I am tending to do more AG these days and if I am doing a kit now it won't be this one. Sorry just getting side tracked.... IF however for some unknown godly reason I would do this one again I would use US-05 @ 18C.

Archived