Coopers Community

5 weeks in FV

LordEoin

The longest I've seen people here leave thei brew in the primary is about 3 weeks.

I'll be moving to Texas for 5 weeks for work, should I chance putting a brew on before I go, or is that pushng it?

What beer would be best?

bearing in mind that i'll be just leaving it to do its own thing, it'll probably stay at about 18C for the whole time (unless swmbo abuses the central heating), so it'll be too warm for a lager or pilsener.

It's not really a problem if its not worth doing, because i've been brewing mad for tha past few weeks to get all my bottles full before i go.

nice 5 week headstart on conditioning to get the stocks back up a bit[wink]

Yeah, this would be one brew where everything would be 100% sterilized.

Thinking I might try the Hefeweizer, as its the last on my currrent to-do list and would like the extra warmth.

Will there be any problem with carbonation later, with the yeast siting there for so long after their food supply has been used up?

5 weeks should be fine but....

Put the brew into secondary after a few days, and since your letting it sit for that length of time make something strong like a Belgium or a Wee heavy which will benefit from a prolonged fermentation.

I wouldn't bother, just brew when you get back. Nevertheless, if you really insist to brew something then I would be doing a lager at the lowest ferment temp possible for the yeast you use.

Best to wait until you return though imo.

Hello Lord,[innocent]

I think SHELLBERIGHTMATE! [biggrin]

I have just recently bottled up two batches with a third to do next weekend that are all around 5 weeks (work was trying tp get in the way of my brewing[annoyed] ). No problems that I can see. I like to store it in a carboy with an airlock[alien] , though.

graham - both FVs are full at the minute, so it'll be a case of making it a couple of days before leaving and letting it do its thing.

bill - i don't really insist on doing it, but it would be nice to come back to something i started. i was thinking about a lager, but I don't want to leave things plugged in etc while I'm away, so its going to be at room temperature which should stay about 18-20C, maybe going up to about 24, so lager is out.

Canadian - no problem at 5 weeks, eh? My setup is similar to yours. Sealed buckets with airlocks. If you've had no problems so far it seems hopeful :)

Thanks all!

Archived