Coopers Community

Help - Russian Imperial Stout

JohnR13

Gday All,

Put on a Russian Imperial Stout today following the recipe in the how to brew section. It's been about 8hrs and there's no activity. I don't think I've done anything wrong but I've never rehydrated yeast before.

Pitched at about 22'C after mixing up the three satchets in luke warm water.

I don't usually pay much attention to when activity starts but I guess this being a volcanic brew I was paying more attention. If I've done something wrong can I just add another three satchets the normal way, I checked and I've got three more kits in the shed.

Cheers

John

My last brew took 3 days before any visible activity and then there was barely anything. Had to take a gravity reading to ensure it was doing its thing. 8 hours is nothing, patience is the virtue... sit back, relax and have a beer.

Thanks Bill, took your advice (red wine though) got up this morning and it's gone off like a frog in a sock. Ugliest krausen I've ever seen.

My last brew took 3 days before any visible activity and then there was barely anything. Had to take a gravity reading to ensure it was doing its thing. 8 hours is nothing' date=' patience is the virtue... sit back, relax and have a beer.[/quote']

lol... yeah most brews will take about 12-24 hours to kick into gear. The "dormant" period is the "lag stage" where all the yeast multiply to get up enough numbers, just like one big orgy, to start munching out on the sugars [cool]

Archived