Coopers Community

Irish Stout Kit

LordEoin

I had to crack one open to see how it is progressing.

Only a week in the bottle and at room temperature and its already better than a lot of commercial stouts.

Its already pouring with a small head and keeping some of it to the end of the glass.

I saw somewhere that a happy medium between guinness and murphy's was aimed for, and that's exactly what it is.

Kudos to whoever engineered that kit[love]

I kept it simple with just

500g dark dry malt

500g wheat malt

300g dex

primed at 6g per liter (seems perfect to avoid fizzy stout)

OG 1.047 - FG 1.014 (thought it was kinda high, but didnt ferment past that)

Aprox 4.3% ABV (perfect for an enjoyable stout)

I highly recommend this kit.

Maybe I'll keep one handy to try it again at the 2 week mark[whistling

But this is going to be a tough one to age, I'm going to have to make it difficult to get at the rest of those bottles....

[biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

Sounds great, Murphys has always been a favourite of mine so if I could get close with a kit I'd be well pleased.

what temp did you pitch and ferment at?

Its getting chilly here at the other end of the world and I wonder If I'll need to add heat.

I have an APA in the fermenter right now which is neeeding to be wrapped in an electric blanket to get going again, (must buy a heater pad soon !!!)

Sorry, couldn't connect for a few days..

I pitched at 20C and fermented at 18C.

I also blasted the heat for the last day to see if the FG wanted to go down any more, but no change.

If you're having trouble keeping an APA at a decent temperature, you'd probably be the same with a stout.

It's another ale after all!

Ireland's kinda lucky for temperatures when it comes to brewing as it will almost never go above the high twenties. And in the winter, sure the windows are closed and the central heating is on [biggrin]

I used a bottle of it in a caserole type thing yesterday and it was fantastic. 'Like something youd get in a fancy restaurant' as my mother would say [biggrin]

By the way.. does anyone know if you can (safely) put a dimmer switch on a heating belt?

The ones I have seem to only want to keep the beer ar 24C.

The instructions say to put it higher on the FV for lower temperatures, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Archived