Coopers Community

Fizzy brew on day 5

PhillipH3

It's day five of my first brew and i decided to take a gravity reading. I tasted the brew and it tastes ok but it is fizzy. Is this normal? Cause I thought carbonation happened in the bottle.

Thanks

Phil.

It's day five of my first brew and i decided to take a gravity reading. I tasted the brew and it tastes ok but it is fizzy. Is this normal? Cause I thought carbonation happened in the bottle.

Thanks

Phil.

if your meaning by you took a hydrometer reading there are a few bubbles yes but wouldn't be fizzy till you have bottled it for 2 weeks

That's normal. You should have seen the fizz and head on my stout during primary fermentation...

For the first few days of fermentation the yeast goes mental eating up all the sugar it can get its hands on.

This creates a lot of carbon dioxide that has to pass through the liquid to get out and makes the wort slightly fizzy.

Later when the fermentation slows and stops, because the FV is not pressurized, all the carbon dioxide leaks out and it goes flat again(like leaving a glass of beer out overnight).

priming and bottling just starts another smaller fermentation in a pressurized environment, so this time the fizz will get more stuck in the liquid and stay longer

Archived