Coopers Community

Buying ingredients from overseas

phAT YAK

Hello fellow brewers! Been away from the forum for a while some may say I have been to busy brewing to talk blether[lol] I do have a question though, being has anyone had trouble buying their ingredients from overseas? as most things we brew with are considered organic especially the hoppy green stuff which we all know is a very close cousin to the wacky tobacky.[innocent]

Hey mate, yeah I believe people do have some trouble getting their hops into the country. But I think it's mainly down to what is declared from the seller. If it's clearly marked that they're pellet hops, with some other info on it, then it usually makes it through no dramas. But sometimes customs will just open them up, make a brew of their own, then send the rest to you [lol] .

I think Yob (the hop king) might be able to tell you more about the laws around this than I can.

I purchase hops all the time from Niko Brew (nikobrew.com), and occasionally from Hops Direct.

Late last year I was buying pounds of (Australian) Galaxy cheaper than available here, even with the shipping added.

An import permit is needed for flowers but pellets are fine. Customs may open a few random packets but will re-seal. Lately Niko has been shipping in clear vac-sealed packs and have gone thru without more than visual inspection.

Malt Extract and grain are both bulky and heavy so shipping costs outweigh any savings.

Thanks Graham and Smithy! that was my thoughts aswell and then I actually rang AQIS (Australian quarintine inspection service) and had a chat with an old friend of mine and his reply was just to stay clear of suspect countries and everything should be fine. I will also wait for Yobs input.[happy]

... stay clear of suspect countries and everything should be fine...[happy]

[bandit] methinks not many hops are grown in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Colombia, Mexico, Netherlands etc.

Then again, many would consider the US as the most suspect of all.[bandit]

I get the occassional hop (pellets) from overseas and the only problem I have ever come across is when Customs bust open the bag to run their tests. The last time caused a delay (1 month to receive them) and I was a bit worried as you can guarantee Customs won't vac seal and place them in the freezer, that's for sure. Nevertheless, they seem alright to me [joyful]

Bill - Spewing I didnt jump in on that Vac Sealer now [roll]

Yeah mate, I'm not looking back now. Glad I got it when I did. I have 8kg hops in the freezer all packed in 50g bags. They're $78 now. I got the canisters as well but hardly use them.

Archived