Coopers Community

I <3 home brewing

AndyG4

more than anything, this is a "Yay us" post.

i wanted to take the time to thank the board experts for the generous dispensing of advice to the myriad of noobs that drop by here. as i learn more, i will be making it my mission to pay it forward by answering as many noob questions as I can. (though i can't promise that i won't be asking more.)

my motivation? well, a few home brews that have me in a jovial mood, but that also have me in an appreciative mood, because they taste so good.

my second brew - an Aussie pale ale, with LDM, some BE2 and some cascade hops. using the ice bath, i managed to keep it between 16 and 20 degrees. it's now 3 months old, and seriously, i can't think of too many beers that i'd rather buy.

my third brew - an amber draught. draught kit, amber malt, galaxy and cascade hops. i liked this more before, it tasted like a nice, sweet irish ale. but still, it's damn good, with a beautiful head on it.

beer four was a chocolate honey porter. it doesn't quite have the body that i like in very dark beers, but i can't criticise the taste at all. after 6 weeks it's amazing, and it's getting better every week.

beer 6 was a stout with my first use of grains. i've only bottled it tonight (first time bulk priming), but i can't wait til it's conditioned. it is smooth and already has a hint of that amazing mouth feel that i love so much about stout.

it's a funny thing, home brewing. i'm certain that this will make me a hermit, or the host of the greatest house parties that i've ever been to. i really can't think of any beers in pubs that i would prefer to drink from tap in a pub.

i never envisaged when i got back into home brewing (after brewing crap at 25 degrees 8 years ago) that i would make beer that I would prefer to drink over the commercially produced stuff.

cheers to a great hobby.

(i strategically posted this before i sample my cerveza with too much nelson sauv in it. i figure i'm in a good enough mood now that i won't be too disappointed if it sucks. i also figure that after just 17 days in the bottle, i'll at least be able to delude myself that it isn't a lost cause even if it does taste rubbish)

i wanted to take the time to thank the board experts for the generous dispensing of advice to the myriad of noobs that drop by here. as i learn more' date=' i will be making it my mission to pay it forward by answering as many noob questions as I can. (though i can't promise that i won't be asking more.)[/quote']

This is precisely what I strive to do as well. Cheers, man! [rightful]

make beer that I would prefer to drink over the commercially produced stuff.

Cheers to cheap yet quality homebrew, this is what its all about!

What did the Cerveza come out like? If your talking too much late addition hops then they should subside fairly rapidly after a couple months.

make beer that I would prefer to drink over the commercially produced stuff.

Cheers to cheap yet quality homebrew, this is what its all about!

What did the Cerveza come out like? If your talking too much late addition hops then they should subside fairly rapidly after a couple months.

the cerveza was rubbish.

i wonder whether i didn't prime the bottle that i tried, because it was flat.

the issue was that there was too much nelson added for flavouring and for aroma.

tonight was the first bottle - it truly was terrible.

it'll be another month or so before i try another one. i may also be taking on a previous suggestion from yob to try and mask the flavour with some amarillo hop flowers.

Post 1:

beer-count : A few

mood : Jovial

Post 4:

beer-count: A few too many

mood : Grumpy

[biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

THe Cerveza will hopefully improve with age.

If not,no harm, the next one will be better [happy]

Archived