Coopers Community

Cloudy Beer...

PatF1

So I am on day 9 of my brew which is:

1 Can lager

1kg DME

500g Enhancer 1

11.5g of ale yeast

I bought the ale yeast because my pack was broken in the can...

So my question is on day 6 my SG was 1017 and on day 8 it was 1013, But the beer seems a bit cloudy. Will the beer clear up by bottling time??? Or will it clear up after I bottle? Or do I need to do anything??? Thanks!

Relax, everything seems fine. You'll find that most brews take longer than two weeks to clear up in the FV. I usually bottle mine before they clear up, as clear beer may take longer to carbonate in the bottles. In any case, your brew will clear up in a week or so after you've bottled it. Patience is the key here.

Patience.. Come back an check it again on day 14...

My beers are left for 21 days in primary

1 week for fermentation

1 week to clean up

1 week cold conditioning..

The first thing you should do when opening a kit is burn the instructions..

2 days of stable fg then bottle.... Gods i hate that..

Your beer will love you for the extra time.

Yob

The first thing you should do when opening a kit is burn the instructions..

2 days of stable fg then bottle.... Gods i hate that..

Your beer will love you for the extra time.

Yob

This, I think, is what every new brewer should take to heart. I've done a few Muntons all-malt kits, and in addition to saying you should bottle the brew right away, the instructions recommend that you stick the bottles in a fridge after two days. There's no way in hell the beer has been properly carbonated after two measly days.

But Yob, I'm curious: do you bottle after cold conditioning (as opposed to kegging) and if so, do you ever have any problems with carbonation? I'd think the yeast has all but dropped out of suspension at that point.

But Yob' date=' I'm curious: do you bottle after cold conditioning (as opposed to kegging) and if so, do you ever have any problems with carbonation? I'd think the yeast has all but dropped out of suspension at that point.[/quote']

Yep, serial bottler, never any trouble with carbing brews.. it's incredibly hard to remove all the yeast without filtering or adding finings, neither of which I do..

After CC'ing there is still plenty of yeast to do the job.. in fact it's my opinion that without CC'ing you have too much yeast and end up with a far greater amount of sediment in the bottle.

I dont worry about times as I try to leave my brews 3 months before drinking..

AND all my brews are kept in the cellar where the temps are quite low and they still manage to get the job done [rightful]

Yob

Archived