Coopers Community

Krausen

AdamS12

Hi,

I had a good krausen and scum ring but no condensation so i thought i would check it.

I took the lid off before the krausen had subsided now the krausen has subsided straight after. Will my brew be ok?.

EDIT- The foam seems to be coming back.

Hi adam im having the same trouble now Good solid Krausen yesterday died down then this morning come back strong but no other activity i put it down to pitching the yeast too high at start of brew and overchilling yesterday.

Have you got stable temps what are they? What was the recepie mate?

Thanks for the reply.

I pitched the yeast at high temperature. Then chilled to 20c. Left it over night when i checked it was upto 27c with good Krausen and scum ring. Then chilled to 20C. Now it is sitting at 22C.

It is a Draught kit with BE1.

Cheers Adam

Yeah they are not a fan of the high temps going up and down thats what worrries me some times they handle it others not. Might be more delayed but should be ok in end the worry is half the fun i suppose. [happy] You should especially be ok the OS yeast is tough as guts.

Yeah Adam,

All should be good unless you sneezed or coughed in it. Mind you you'll only get condensation if it's cooler outside the fermenter than inside and best not to open the fermenter if you don't need to [cool]

Thanks for the reply.

I pitched the yeast at high temperature. Then chilled to 20c. Left it over night when i checked it was upto 27c with good Krausen and scum ring. Then chilled to 20C. Now it is sitting at 22C.

BAD yeast daddy [rightful]

they will make you pay for that [lol]

Yob

Its not great for yeast and you my get production of undesirable esters and fusel alcohols..

I always pitch my yeast at ferment temps and slowly bring up the temps after high activity.. One direction, up..

Starting hot, getting down to ideal temps and then back to high 20's isnt great for them, stable temps within the manufacturer recommendations for the duration of the ferment..

I usually aim to be at about 20'c by the end of the ferment prior to cold conditioning. 18 for the ferment (ales).

Providing a nice stable environment for the yeast is being a good yeast daddy

[lol]

Yob

especially if low ester production is desired.. however, if pitching a fresh packet of dry yeast it takes me long enough to get it within \xb13'c anyway (usually +3'c but I know it will be at 18 within an hour so no biggie..

pitching rinsed yeast is similar as I often use the wort to get it to near the same temps as the FV.

It's most important to have the temps right at the begining... the end.. not so much... but is still important it just wont affect flavour as such.

Yob

Archived