Coopers Community

Good information for All Grain

JasonB18

I have been doing lots and lots of research on all grain brewing.

I have books, friends that brew all grain , and neighbors.

But being the kind of guy I am I like to one up everything I read about or see and make it better (sometimes I just make it more complicated than it needs to be[roll] ).

Anyways I found this guy on youtube BobbyFromNJ, he has some great information on mashing temps and grains I thought I would put a link to.

Anyone (like me) working on switching to all grain brewing can learn from watching these 2 videos, ( I had to watch them a few times to figure out everything he was talking about)

This Video is by BobbyFromNJ about grains for all grain brewing,

This Video is by BobbyFromNJ about mashing temps and how it effects your final product for all grain brewing,

If you already know this stuff thats awesome[biggrin]. If not I hope this is good brain food that helps all of us make amazing home brews[cool]

Thought there is some good info there, to start AG brewing you dont really need to know all that..

High mash temps = less fermentable, residual sweetness (67-68)

Low mash temps = More fermentable, Dryer Finish (64 - 66)

once you are able to control the mash temps, then you start on understanding the extra stuff, and it does get quite involved..

For the first few brews though, just make beer [rightful]

Hot water + grains + hops

wait till you try to get your head round water chemistry and PH [roll]

For the first few brews though, just make beer [rightful]

Agreed.

Best to learn how to use your equipment and what you can do to improve from when you started before getting too involved. Once you know what your equipment does then start venturing into other brewing aspects imo. This is regardless of system you use.

All I can say is don't worry about researching too much, yes a little will help. However, you don't want information overload when it is not neccessary. The best advise I can give you at the start is just do it. Get into it and fine tune your method next time. Nothing like brewing your own from scratch [cool]

Archived