Coopers Community

Two Carbonation Drops for 660 ml bottles?

Jimmy

I just scored a few beautiful flip-top bottles (along with a 10 liter pot for making partials) at a local flea market, but it wasn't until I got home that I realized the bottles weren't your standard 500 ml bottles like I thought they were. What do you guys think, would two Carbonation Drops for each 660 ml bottle be too much? I normally prime my 500 ml bottles with dextrose using a measuring spoon that is just the right size, but this odd bottle size makes that a little too complicated.

Yeah, I think I will too. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've primed a one liter bottle with three drops before (making the priming rate pretty much the same, 1 drop per 333 milliliters) and, unless my memory is playing tricks on me, it didn't turn out over-carbonated.

Cheers!

I think it all depends on your preferences. If you like your beer gassy as hell (which I do for pale style beers) then two drops would probably be great. If, however, you're brewing a stout, dark ale, or an english bitter, I reckon even a single drop per 375ml is way too gassy. For this reason, I'll be heading down the bulk priming path. If you're wondering about explosions, I've primed 330ml bottles with one drop and they've all been fine. It's all gonna be better than store bought [sick]

To each his own. I generally like my beer well carbonated. [cool] I did a batch of Muntons Imperial Stout where I primed most of my 500 ml bottles with a single drop each, and while the beer turned out better than I hoped, I actually preferred the bottles I primed at a normal rate.

Archived