Coopers Community

Bulk priming in secondary after clearing

MikeyBycrikey

Evening all, googled this but got 20 different opinions and I trust you guys so here goes. Making a pumpkin beer and the recipe calls for a clearing week in a secondary. My question is, is it ok to add a boiled sugar solution to the secondary to bulk prime or would it be best to rack to a third...ary over the solution. Do you generally get much of a trub in the secondary or? I figure it'd be best to minimise handling when it came to a third fermenter for fear of contaminating this amazing liquid.

Cheers : )

As I understand it, the reason for racking into second fermenter is so that you can mix in sugar for priming. As this is for clearing (ie. things going to the bottom?) I would rack into third for priming..! Make sense?[biggrin]

By the way, how about a recipe for the pumkin ale? and is it something along the line of the Dogfish Head Punkin Ale?

Its my understanding that the punkin needs to ne added to a mash to allow starch conversion from the enzymes in the grain.. Dunno how you go about this on a kit brew...

Unless im reading something wrong.

Hi Mike,

For every brew I make I rack it twice. From the primary(this is where you do your dry hopping loose). After a week or two it's racked to a secondary carboy (this is where the brew is removed from the trub). After a couple of days to settle again rack it to your bottling bucket for bulk priming.

By moving your brew from the Primary FV to a secondary it frees up your FV for the next batch and you can bottle when convenient for you.[cool]

Archived