Coopers Community

English Stout = Vegimite Stout

A number of Brewers here put down the Coopers English Stout recipe from a recent newsletter. I am wondering how they turned out. As I mixed mine there was a definite Vegimite aroma. When I tested the SG at day 5 there was still a Vegimite aroma and when I bottled it today there is still a Vegimite aroma. Tastes alright though. I also pulled up a bit short on the FG, registering only 1.016 giving me just over 4.1% ABV (OG = 1.043).

Interested to see how others compare.

Hi there..

Well never smelled vegimite only heard of it, but my english stout turned out just fantastic[biggrin] Deep black colour and a great taste.. ABV around 5,0 Bottled, so from here two big thumbs up[love]

P.S. Sorry yours didn't turn out the same..

I addded 500g of dex I had lying around so my OG was 1.048 GF 1.015. Sampled one last week (2 weeks in the bottle). Nice but needs more time, not enough bubbles, a little bit raw.

It didn't feel "thick" enough to me, like a good stout should. It seemed very much like the Coopers Best Extra to me though.

I addded 500g of dex I had lying around so my OG was 1.048 GF 1.015.

Thanks Adam

The 500g of Dex doesn't affect the FG, it ferments out, so mine is not that far from yours. IanH's spreadsheet puts your recipe at 5.5% which is about 0.6 higher than your SGs indcate. Either the Malt or the Kit aren't fermenting out as much as the spreadsheet expects.

....Deep black colour and a great taste.. ABV around 5,0 Bottled....

Thanks also Henrik

Mine is certainly a deep black colour, so much so that my daughter asked me if I was making black beer. I just hope I'm not tempted to dip my toast in it (Vegimite). What was your final FG?

Archived