Coopers Community

More newb questions!!

Joe1525228150

Hey everyone, ive been reading for a couple days and really like the forum!

So ive decided last week i was going to try and make some beer.I then decided on coopers diy kit based on reviews. It came with Australian lager, and i think i made it like the dvd said.

So a few questions..

1)My OG was "1.036", the tapwater used is .995, Temp was 24c when i put in yeast. Is this normal? - Is the beer supposed to level out around the water used? I hope so, otherwise there wont be any alcohol lol!

2)After the 3rd day i took the koller out after foam started subsiding. I stuck my face in to see what it smelled like, BURNT the crap outta my nose.. Is that normal?

3)How stable(ex: next to washer on spin cycle) should the fermenter be? i noticed a bit of vibration being transfered while jeans were spinning.

4)Is sunlight and such a bad thing during fermentation? Whats recommended storage? I live in an apartment, 2nd floor/ no basement or available closets.

5)Today is day 5 in the fermenter. i just wanted to test sp and it is 1.016. still seems high right? If my math is right, equation currently puts beer at 2.4%

6)The dvd said anywhere between 21c-27c is ok for fermenting. My house is set at 68f (20c). Is this ok or will the temp affect time/end result?

Ive got lots to learn as you can see, hopefully you guys can help me along my way! Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Hey everyone, ive been reading for a couple days and really like the forum!

So ive decided last week i was going to try and make some beer.I then decided on coopers diy kit based on reviews. It came with Australian lager, and i think i made it like the dvd said.

So a few questions..

1)My OG was "1.036", the tapwater used is .995, Temp was 24c when i put in yeast. Is this normal? - Is the beer supposed to level out around the water used? I hope so, otherwise there wont be any alcohol lol!

2)After the 3rd day i took the koller out after foam started subsiding. I stuck my face in to see what it smelled like, BURNT the crap outta my nose.. Is that normal?

3)How stable(ex: next to washer on spin cycle) should the fermenter be? i noticed a bit of vibration being transfered while jeans were spinning.

4)Is sunlight and such a bad thing during fermentation? Whats recommended storage? I live in an apartment, 2nd floor/ no basement or available closets.

5)Today is day 5 in the fermenter. i just wanted to test sp and it is 1.016. still seems high right? If my math is right, equation currently puts beer at 2.4%

6)The dvd said anywhere between 21c-27c is ok for fermenting. My house is set at 68f (20c). Is this ok or will the temp affect time/end result?

Ive got lots to learn as you can see, hopefully you guys can help me along my way! Thanks for taking the time to read this!

1: 24 is OK... 20 is better... 18 is great

2: WTF is a Koller? [lol] everybody burns their nose once doing that [lol] congrats... you are now in the club

3: Vibration wont hurt it

4: Sunlight aint great for the yeast, hang a towel or a box over it.

5: Generally plan on it being in the fermenter for about 2 weeks.

6: 20'c is just about perfect.

Welcome to the forum and keep researching.

Yob

Thanks for the quick response! Im glad everything seems ok so far.. I thought the smell may have been infection or something..

2: WTF is a Koller? [lol] everybody burns their nose once doing that [lol] congrats... you are now in the club

Yob

I thinks its called a Krausen Kollar?

Btw, what is coopers australian lager comparable to in the states? Budweiser?

Thanks again! Cant wait to get another brew going after this one (hopefully) get bottled!

I am be no means a beer expert, but i would like to make something like a killians irish red from a beer kit. Any recommendations?

Archived