Coopers Community

Warmer weather

Greg1525228545

Hello all

Nothing is going to stop my latest brew from being bottled and consumed, but I thought I would but this question out there and see what the rest of you all think.

I have a Coopers Canadian Blonde sitting in secondary waiting to be bottled tonight. When I got home yesterday, the temp. had soared to 30C and I was just wondering if the yeast would still produce more eastery flavors even though it was in the secondary? Or should it still be all right seeing as most of the yeast would have flouced out?

Cheers

Greg

Greg,

draw a sample off to measure SG, have a taste of it then go ahead and bottle. A temp of 30C for one day should not be a problem. Most of the flavours and esters would have been formed before the temperature hit 30C.

• 1 month later...

i went to k mart and for 10 bucks gut a 65 litre container put the fermenter in it put heaps of water wrapped a wet towl around it put ice in the water and on top of the fermenter and no probs also read the last new letter it had hints about keeping the bre temp down min stayed around 22 in the shed and i leave my bottles in the shed no probs

• 2 weeks later...

I live in country N.S.W. and we have been having heatwave conditions these last couple of weeks. I'm using the water filled plastic container, ice brick, wet towel method to keep the wort cool but, while the temperature of the water is in the mid 20's, I notice that the temperatuire of the wort keeps creeping up toward 30. My high school science from 50 years ago didn't have much to say about the fermentation process but I'm thinking that fermentation creates heat.

Can anyone confirm?

John

I did a couple of Heritage Lagers that brewed at too high a temp, a while back. I found that an extra bit of bottle age reduced the severity of those high-temp related flavours, but I don't know if that's normal or not.

Archived