Coopers Community

Has Primary fermentation stopped ?

SteveD14

Hi All,

just started home brewing and have my first question.

Using a typical home brew starter kit and a MJ Munich lager kit with CT Beer enhancer 60.

Pitched at 28C which I think now might have been a bit warm

Temp has stayed more or less stable at 18 -20 deg C since.

OG was 1040 and after 5 days settled at 1014, but i was expecting 1012 from what my supplier told me. Waited a furter 3 days but no change in SG.

But my airlock still shows slight signs of fermentation in that the water level is always on the "out" side of the lock i.e. if I squeeze a little on the fermenter to achieve a balance of water levels then some time later the water is back on the "out side" which suggests to me that co2 is still being generated so must still be fermenation happening. Is this wrong ?

Also the beer is still quite cloudy even after i added finnings 24 hours ago.

So I guess my questions are.

1. is a little co2 generation still nomal prior to bottling ?

2. just how clear should my brew be before botting ?

Next batch due to go in within a few days will be a Coopers Cerveza plus Coopers enhancer 2. Any tips on getting this just right would also be appreciated.

Cheers

Steve D

Hi Steve

Without knowing your exact ingredients it is hard to tell what your estimated FG should be.

I suggest to get rid of the airlock, it creates too much confusion. In future just put some glad wrap over the top and secure that on with the o-ring from under the lid. Just like a big home made jam jar [joyful]

Why it is cloudy now is because the yeast is still in suspension. Your beer will clear in time so don't worry about this so much.

Leave your beer in the FV for another week for a better product.

Archived