Coopers Community

Steam Beer?

TonyW12

Hi - My first post from the UK.

I've made several kits and the one I like best so far is Coopers Australian Pale Ale. I like the minimal bitterness and it tastes good at just below room temperature with not much fizz.

Mostly the problem I've had with homebrew is that it has been too bitter for my taste. With that in mind, if I was to take a standard Cooper's Lager kit and make it with 750g LME and 250g brewing sugar, am I going to end up with something decent or is this only going to work cold and fizzy?

Cheers

Tony

Cold and fizzy is better for the lager in my opinion, but it didn't stop me from drinking plenty of them only slightly chilled (out of impatience) and it was good too.

Try the Wheat Beer Kit.

It's not too fizzy, not bitter, doesn't need much chilling - just what the doctor ordered.

The recommended 500g light dry malt and 300g dextrose works well, but I hear that using 1kg wheat malt instead of the 500g LDM is better.

Ends up about 4% with the recommended fermentables.

Oh, and an extra bonus.. it doesn't take (or last) long before its good to drink.

Sorry for the confusion. As I understand it steam beer is brewed using a lager yeast. But, instead of fermenting longer at a lower temperature it is brewed at a normal ale yeast temperature. It may be the case the the Cooper's Original Lager kit actually comes with ale yeast (??) in which case the question becomes what is the difference between an Australian Pale Ale kit and an Original Lager kit?

Tony

AdamH - can't see what post you mean

Also, I looked at the sticky about yeast and it would appear that all Original series beers use ale yeast!

So forget steam beer. What is the difference in the stuff in the can between Original series lager and Australian Pale Ale? Maybe one of the admins could help with this question, please.

Archived