Coopers Community

Whats right Brewcraft Calculator or Hydrometer

Jarvo_325

Hey

I tend to trust the Brewcrafts Brew Calculator on this one.

This is what I brewed.

Pale Ale kit 1.7kg

250g Dex

1kg LDM

250g Crystal Grain

50g Hops in total

8g Yeast

When I took the OG it was 1040, which I thought might be a little low, I did it again wit the same result.

The calculator estimates it should be 1049.

What reading sounds right to you guys?

Thanks

Brewcrafts Brew Calculator only gives an estimated reading as does ianh's spreadsheet. You should always rely on the reading of your Hydrometer provided you are taking the reading correctly. i.e. degas the sample etc. Even if it is out you can still rely on it provided you use the same hydrometer throughout your brew.

There is no comprimise with the reading you take from your Hydrometer.

Having said the above though, temperatures do affect the reading but from around the yeast pitching temp to the brewing temp it won't be a lot. Temperatures come into major play when you are taking gravity readings from a wort boil etc.

Brewcrafts Brew Calculator only gives an estimated reading as does ianh's spreadsheet. You should always rely on the reading of your Hydrometer provided you are taking the reading correctly. i.e. degas the sample etc. Even if it is out you can still rely on it provided you use the same hydrometer throughout your brew.

There is no comprimise with the reading you take from your Hydrometer.

Having said the above though, temperatures do affect the reading but from around the yeast pitching temp to the brewing temp it won't be a lot. Temperatures come into major play when you are taking gravity readings from a wort boil etc.

Thanks BillK

I just thought an OG reading of 1040 was a bit low for the fermentables I put into the brew, but I'm probably wrong.

I always rely on my hydrometer with really good success in the past, but this time the lower than expected reading and then comparing that to the brew calculator got me doubting my OG reading.

Archived