Coopers Community

Damn that Yob (Yeast Rinsing)

So I have been thinking that Yob has some sort of yeast fetish (ignoring the hop thing)[lol] . Anyway last night I followed up on the thread regarding reusing expensive yeasts, and followed one Yob\u2019s threads on yeast rinsing. Well today I bottled my Bushy Park Pale Ale and thought I'd see how I'd go rinsing the Draught kit yeast (process only no sanitisation). Well it turned out lovely, just like the pictures that Yob points too, and I had three distinct layers after an hour and it was such a shame to tip them out. This lines up really well with my prep for the next brew so the next time I use US05 I am going to at least collect enough to pitch in the following brew. Bit of an epiphany really because I was all the time thinking "Rinsing yeast why bother when I can just purchase some more". Then during my research some believe that you getter better results once the yeast has been around the block a few times.

[innocent] And the smell [love] I can see why Yob has this yeast fetish [biggrin]

I am about to use a rinsed yeast into 2 brews, so from my first use US-05, Ive collected 150ml of compact slurry, Mr Malty tells me I need 75 ml per batch I want to pitch onto (2 x 1052ish AG brews)

From my notes it said it was fast ferment, which is great, Ive been waiting for another of these.. Best I ever had was a 1050 wort down to 1008 in 3 days on a 3 or 4 use [ninja] at 18'c

so Its saved me $12 - $14 today alone.

Tip 1: get yourself a few V8 jars, the big ones, they are great.

Tip 2: get yourself 3 of those 3/4 size mason type jars, the small ones are OK but not quite big enough for me.

You should be able to see a distinct seperation after 20 mins, if you are waiting longer than that you have too thick a slurry you are seperating, I put no more than about 1/5 of the total volume in the V8 jar and top it up to 4/5 full... maybe I should do a little photo thingy for this topic...

It might be true I have a yeast (also ignoring Hops) fetish... I'm always hoping I dont get a yeast infection [lol]

Yob

Pictured Below is the finished product, 150ml compact yeast swirled into 150ml cooled boiled water to total 300ml. 75ml per batch being pitched tonight. Pictured is the big mason jar type bottle, I suggest you will need 2 big 3 intermediate and 4 small bottles. That about what I have and serves me well.

yeastu.jpg

This is kind of starting at the end, but next time I rinse I will document it. Will be in about 2 weeks.

Yob

You should be able to see a distinct seperation after 20 mins, if you are waiting longer than that you have too thick a slurry you are seperating, I put no more than about 1/5 of the total volume in the V8 jar and top it up to 4/5 full... maybe I should do a little photo thingy for this topic...

I may have had seperation after 20 mins, but I was busy cleaning and sanitising the FV and cracking the grains for my Irish Red (and I cracked 200g of crystal instead of 100g). I put 2 litres into the FV (DIY type) swirled it around and then filled up four 200ml glass jars. After they settled I treansferred 3 into a larger glass and let them sit. I still had a bit of sediment in the larger glass but could have pitched it without issue, I reckon.

the problem with 'instant' repitching is that you never quite know how much yeast you have, my method does take a day or so, but, if you are counting compact slurry (from the mr malty thingy) you get an exact pitch rate. So my method includes a few hours in the freezer and in the fridge overnight to force it all to settle.

Putting some graduated marks on the jar, as pictured above, really help in getting those numbers spot on.

Another of the things that you need to be mindful of is what yeast you are selecting for. If left too long before you 'seperate' then you are selecting for the less flocculant yeast and you may have trouble with them wanting to stay in solution and will generally be more attenuative than desired.

It can be tricky, I certaingly screwed up the first few batches with under pitching.. anywhoose, I promise to document next time im at it..

Now I think that my yeast is nerely warm enough to pitch, I have 2 waiting FV's and 150ml of hungry yeast to feed [lol] [roll] [love]

Yob

Pictured Below is the finished product, 150ml compact yeast swirled into 150ml cooled boiled water to total 300ml. 75ml per batch being pitched tonight. Pictured is the big mason jar type bottle, I suggest you will need 2 big 3 intermediate and 4 small bottles. That about what I have and serves me well.

yeastu.jpg

This is kind of starting at the end, but next time I rinse I will document it. Will be in about 2 weeks.

Yob

Looking forward to reading it when you have done it.

I am concerned I may have done it all wrong. I had the trub only left in the FV. Got around 500ml sterilized water and swirled it around. Bottled it 3/4 of it into a PET bottle. Let it settle then split the slurry. I then proceeded to pour water out a couple of times in each one and replacing with clean until the water was clean. I now have in the fridge two PET bottles with yeast cake at the bottom with water only. Have I done this completely wrong?[lol]

I had a read through that link and frankly, it amazes me how lazy people can be.. He makes no particular effort to remove break, hops, dead cells or anything, just swirls and fills his pet bottles.

While that method is probably ok, you are learning very little in that process, it's nice he links Mr malty and i suspect he just didnt know how to use it or he would.

I prefer to use glass bottles because i can see the seperation and collect only the pure live yeast, he doesnt so it doesnt matter to him. Gladwrap and a rubber band is an effective lid, and i dont have to clean my lids[roll]

that bloke also wastes a frikkin gallon of beer to get his yeast, i do not[lol]

At the end of the day its all about how much effort you are willing to go through for the result. Less anal approaches may work but what you need to ask yourself is "am i happy throwing dead cells etc into my new beer and guessing a pitch rate, or do i want to KNOW im pitching clean healthy yeast at the correct pitching rate?"

I know which one gets my vote [lol]

Before this topic goes any further I would like to put in a link to Wolfy's AHB - Rinsing Yeast in Pictures topic which got me started with rinsing Yeast.

and also The Brewing Network - Yeast Washing podcast which I must have listened to a zillion times... well maybe 8 or 10..

Both of these links above have led me to better understanding and practice and I thank them both for it.

Yob

• 2 weeks later...

Right, as promised,

here is how much liquid I have in the FV when rinsing,I bottled last night leaving just enough beer to cover the yeast overnight while it gets back to ambient temps slowly + 800 ml of cooled boiled water (the next morning clearly)

slurry1.th.jpg

the next image shows a diluted amount of slurry, I poured 250 ml into the jar and topped up to about a litre with cooled boiled water.

slurry2.th.jpg

I collect 2 jars this way, the second jar is thicker a mix for illustration purposes.

slurry3.th.jpg

After 20 mins or so the slurry starts to separate with the trub and dead yeast falling to the bottom.

slurry4.th.jpg

I leave it a bit longer and I see this

slurry5.th.jpg

I then very carefully and slowly pour off the top yeast in suspension making sure to not collect any trub and stop pouring if I do, as can be seen in the photo, I stop well above the trub and will top up this jar and repeat 2 or 3 times if required.

slurry6.th.jpg

The following is a picture of 3 jars, the one on the left has been rinsed a few times the one in the middle has been rinsed once and the small jar at the end is not further diluted but streight out of the FV, as you can see, you cannot get separation when it is thicker, you can see from the colour of the liquid on top of the yeast that the thinner the mix the easier it is to see the separation.

slurry7.th.jpg

Jars collected are then whisked off to the fridge to settle out. I will collect 100 ml from this rinsing.

Hope this helps y'all,

Yob

....Jars collected are then whisked off to the fridge to settle out. I will collect 100 ml from this rinsing.

Yob

Thanks Yob

Looks good, I am keen to try it with some US05 next up. I am however a bit dissapointed with the yield [pouty]

Just to clarify, the milky liquid in the top of the left hand jar is what I am wanting to harvest.. pure viable yeast..

I will admit to being a bit of a purist and wanting to select only the best possible yeast. I know many other people make do with less than this with good result...

is it the best result? Jury is out.. Id need to do a side by side comparison of the same wort, and the same yeast collected at various levels of 'purity'.. personally I couldnt be bothered and just aim for the best I can do, Mr Malty (linked previously) does allow for a "Non Yeast Percentage" (trub) with a slider that helps to know the correct pitching rate for this method.

Perhaps I thin the yeast a bit much, perhaps not, I get good results with this method and hope it helps others to get good results with theirs and further their comfort zone with brewing.

To put the record right I only collected my 100ml (80ml) from one jar and 3 rinses, the other jars pictured were for illustration and understanding purposes.

[rightful]

further..

I did put the small jar (far right in last photo) of concentrated yeast/trub/beer/water in the fridge and could easily collect another 100ml 'compact' yeast if required..

and that may well be the case as I have 2 empty FV's and 2 cubes waiting to be dealt with [lol]

such is the glory of rinsing yeast.. I know the viability date is the same as the other rinsed sample and all I need do is extract the yeasty goodness.

I swear I'm going to start top cropping [innocent] [roll]

• 1 month later...

Well it looks like my second attempt to rinse my yeast has been successful ((The first was with SO4 from a Porter (OG1.053) and it was so dark I couldn't see the separation, EBC 69).

Anyway this one was again SO4 from my Willamette IPA, OG 1.039, EBC 38.5 & 17 days in FV. Kinda following Yob's method.

Kegged the IPA and bottled the remainder leaving only trub in the FV. Added one litre of boiled water (cooled to room temp) and swirled to get the yeast into suspension. Filled two 500ml jars and rested while I cleaned the FV.

Again I couldn't really see the separation between the yeast and trub; I poured off the water and poured about 2/3 of the yeasty liquid into another jar. Made up a one litre starter, put the other jar of yeast into the fridge and went to bed. {Turns out that I pitched 150ml of yeast, when compared to the refrigerated jar}.

Here I am not sure if I missed the activity or not but in the morning it looked pretty docile. Then mid morning it had some white foam appearing. Went out shopping and for a counter meal (had a lovely pint of JSAA). I was expecting to see some violent activity when I arrived home but it wasn't much different.

Anyway it was now 16 hours since I made the starter so I put together the ESB, OG 1.048, and pitched my starter (which smelt like beer) at 22'C. This morning, after 18 hours I am sitting at 18'C and have a very nice Krausen; which I am hoping is the result of my rinsed SO4[unsure].

Gratz mate,

I find my darker brews visually seperate better than my lighter ones as the yeast is a creamy white between 2 dark layers of both beer and trub.

More hop matter in the trub helps...hint hint [wink]

Mmmm

When I did my trial run with a kit yeast out of a 10 EBC brew I could easily see the seperation between the creamy white yeast and the darker trub.

What you say Graham makes sense, but even now with the one I have in the fridge it is very light brown rather than creamy white. I hope that SO4 goes into suspension into the middle layer, otherwise I have 150ml of trub in the fridge [pinched]

heres two I have just rinsed this morning, theres a noticeable difference at this stage in color

The one on the right is from a Stout and the left an APA

You can see the creamy white yeast starting to seperate in the Stout but its more difficult to see in the APA

Both were harvested and rinsed at the same time

img4288lw.jpg

That looks to be a farily think mix there mate... those jars should have a max. of 1/4 of trub/yeast.. then topped up to about that level with cooled boiled water of about the same temp as the trub.

with a thicker mix it will be hard to get the separation properly.

How long have they been sitting?

Yob

edit: my alarm just went off to go and separate a batch of yeast myself [lol]

It was really funny after my first brew I looked at the left overs in the bottom of the FV and thought...Geez I bet I could re-use that some how...and there ya go! I really like the saving me $12-$14 dollars part and seems like a way to go to produce your very own strain of yeast!! Thanks Yob I'm just culturing my first coopers yeast and I have a US-05 that is going into an IPA soon that I will definitely try and rinse and re-use following this procedure. Its also a good way to recycle!!

I really cant take credit for the process, just passing it along.. Earlier in the topic i linked a few threads that helped me understand the process, im merely trying to pass the info onto that others can learn the process if they want to try it.

There are many other ways of doing things that work for others and their brewery, this one works for me and i think its tits

[lol]

Archived