Coopers Community

Cubes

GrahamB8

So I was looking at some 25L water containers at the weekend in the camping section ($25 a pop).

Whats the procedure? I was hoping that it was a fully fermented beer racked into a sanitised and sealed container to age until a keg is free to accept it.

Secondly I read bout people squeezing the air out of them, would it be also possible to purge it out with Co2?

Any other 'issues' with cubing I should know about?

Kegs are $40 from Craftbrew at the minute and with a $9 seal kit thats under $50/keg for that price is it worth cubing at all?

Cubing is mainly for All-grain brewers (not sure about kits or extracts). It's an unfermented wort that you just leave there until you're ready to ferment.

The benefits of it is that the AG brewer can do a massive batch, cube a few off for later use. This cuts their brew days down by a lot as they're not brewing every 23L batch. As this is a no-chill method, bitterness is usually a lot higher in these as they settle over time.

I guess you could purge the oxygen with CO2, as long as you could get it all out I guess.

Hope this helps

Oh sorry, now that I think about it. I don't see a problem with that, it should work!

But I don't keg so one of the more experienced and luckier guys should be able to answer your question properly

I wouldnt use it on fermented beer.

in addition to reasons above, it is a "No Chill" method whereby you can run off right from the kettle into the cube, squeeze the air out and seal, the temperature of the wort will effectivly sterilise the inside if the cube due to extended periods at a near boiling temperature.

Mostly done by those of us without plate or immersion chillers.

I do brew AG, but only in 23lt batches, mostly due to my keggle and mash tun size. A bigger system is on the cards soon.

Yob

+1 to Yob

I have about 8 cubes and only store wort in Cubes not beer.

I wouldn't suggest storing beer in cubes at all. imo you are only asking for trouble if you do.

There is no reason why you can't store beer in kegs, out of the fridge though. Unless you run out of kegs of course [pinched]

Wasn't a link, he gave me this information over the phone when I was looking for quotes for kegging systems last week, there un-tested, un-washed and he recommended buying a new seal kit with the purchase.

The guys name is Ross 07 3823 5252

Thanks for the info regarding the cubes, I still dont really understand why its not viable but I'll take your word for it rather than make an expensive mistake

Id be worried primarily about oxidisation from transfer with finished beer which is of course no concern for wort. Done gently it would 'probably' be OK though dont do it on my say so, I certainly wouldnt do it.

Yob

Wasn't a link, he gave me this information over the phone when I was looking for quotes for kegging systems last week, there un-tested, un-washed and he recommended buying a new seal kit with the purchase.

The guys name is Ross 07 3823 5252

Thanks for the info regarding the cubes, I still dont really understand why its not viable but I'll take your word for it rather than make an expensive mistake

Oh Craftbrewer you are talking about.... yeah Ross is good and knowledgable as well. However, I assume he would have given you the cheaper price if you had of bought a keg system from him. You may want to clarify this. IIRC I think his kegs (ball lock)were 4 for $240 or $70 each.

1 no is enough' date=' 2 no's (even a 'probably') eradicates the curiosity all together ... more kegs it has to be, I figure 4 will give me a good enough turn around[/quote']

lol 4... that's what I thought. I now have 13 and am looking to get another 2 or 3 soon [innocent]

Re cubes, you may get away with it a few times but to me the risk of storing beer in them is too high so personally I wouldn't bother.

Archived