Coopers Community

dry hopped an IPA

CliffH1

It has been 16 days since I bottled my first attempt at dry hopping a brew.

It was a Cooper's Authentic (from the recipe section) IPA dry hopped with 28 grams of Chinook pellets after the fermentation calmed down, about day 4. Just dropped the pellets into the fermenter.

WOW....I've made one IPA without the hops and one with the hops. I'll never go back again[love] Nothing could be simpler and a huge improvement. I'm hooked on hops[lol]

Cliff

Wow, just tossed them straight into the fermenter eh? Were there any drawbacks? Sediment issues etc? As you may have guessed I'm interested in all dry hop methods at present. [biggrin]

Drawbacks? I don't know if I had to or not, but after a week or so, some the hops were still floating on top in the fermenter and I was getting concerned that the batch would not clear. I racked the batch into a secondary and put it into the attached garage where the temps were around 7c or 45f. The batch cleared nicely in another week or so. The few hop leaves that went through the siphon hose had settled to the bottom and were no problem.

I was told it would clear anyhow, but I did rack it.

Since I tossed the hops in after the initial fermentation had taken place, there was alcohol in there to help prevent any infection, plus hops are naturally anti-bacterial.

Since there is no boiling or heating, the process is VERY easy and you lose none of the aromatics. That 28 grams (one ounce) of hops made a very hoppy batch.

My next batch will use the Citra hops I just bought.

Cliff, that IPA sounds good!

I just dry hopped my Coopers Sparkling ale with 25g of Amarillo & 25g Cascade pellets- I chucked them straight in.

It's been 2 days & it smells great!

I also have concerns about how to avoid bits of hop getting through while bottling.

I was going to rack into a secondary- would that be the best way?

Racking into the secondary removed almost all of the floating bits of hop from the top surface and it was easy to leave the leaves on the bottom. Almost all that was transferred did settle to the bottom of the secondary fermenter after a week or so. Just a couple pieces seem to have made it all the way to the bottle, but then they just settle to the bottom also with the yeast, so it is no problem. So, don't worry if you don't get every bit of leaf out during transferring or bottling.

I suppose you could use some sort of screen on the siphon, but I think that would just cause problems with clogging.

you should find that anything floating on the surface will be drawn to the sides during raking due to surface tension on the top of the beer, anything that has settled clearly you are leaving behind.

Cold conditioning can often also aid in dropping floaters out of solution along with the yeast but really, if a few make it to the bottle it doesnt really matter...

Yob

....I've managed 11 batches of beer and 3 batches of wine since October[happy].....

Nice one Cliff

Have you drank all 11 batches [bandit] ?

I put my first brew down early in September last year and brew #16 is in the FV waiting to be bottled. I haven't drank them all and reckon I have about 160 litres of beer on hand. I have a massive collection of bottles and with only 1 FV I will never have them all full, especially now I have some kegs to fill.

Good going there. 16 batches[biggrin]

No, a lot of it is still to be consumed. Just been making a variety to see where my tastes take me. I've discovered a real taste for IPA's....and hops.

I've been mainly a wine drinker, but thought I'd broaden my horizon.

I've been mainly a wine drinker' date=' but thought I'd broaden my horizon.[/quote']

I was too, but found that wine is not so good as a social drink when keeping up with a mate who drinks mid strength beer. So it is complex flavour that I like and therefore I too like hop addittions. Apparently "if fine wine were beer it would no doubt be Extra Strong Vintage Ale", so I have one bottle conditioning just to test the quote.

Archived