Coopers Community

Bitter Brews - no fan here

After a dozen delicious brews I have hit the wall with a couple where the IBU level certainly doesn't suit my tastes.

Firstly the Good Doctor (Smurto Golden) now 2 1/2 months bottled, went down at 31 IBU, not enjoyable looks like it will be conditioning for another couple of months.

Secondly my Real Fat Yak (Real Ale base) now 1 month bottled, went down at 38.5 IBU, its a Real Fat Yuk, will need even longer in the bottle. I also have an ESVA 3 1/2 months bottled, I haven't tasted it and won't be tempted until I have at least sampled the Real Fat at 4 months.

Finished the Dr Smurto while writing this post now I will have a cleansing Mornington Pale Ale (IBU 24.3 ABV 4.1%) just about my top brew. My other contender is My Little Creatures (IBU 28.5, ABV 5.6%) interestingly both use Citra [love] and both are just over 2 months bottled.

IBU's can be largely subjective, with the right malt, flavour and aroma to ballance, a 'perceived' bitterness can be quite mild, some of my latest brews must be in the low 50's but you wouldnt know it to taste them, yes they have a slight lingering bitterness but isnt harsh our out of whack.

Yob

Archived