Coopers Community

Boiling Wort

Smithy

Hey guys, me again [biggrin]

For my next brew I'll be going all extract to shake it up a little. The recipe calls for a 10L boil for 60mins. I have a couple of problems here...

1: My electric stove is lucky to give a rolling boil on 5L water uncovered (will give a heavy simmer when mostly covered)

2: The biggest pot I have is 12L

The answer to the 2nd problem is obvious, get a bigger pot [cool] but SWMBO has stated that I have to spend my money very very wisely here. By this she means "don't spend much at all".

One solution to my problem would be to get a bigger pot, and whack it on the BBQ to boil. But I think it's going to waste a lot of gas for a full hour at max temp (thoughts?).

I was looking into getting a single gas burner along with a bigger pot, but this would start bumping up to over $200 ish, and I don't think the gas burners for under $100 would be able to handle 10L rolling boil.

So, I got thinking, what about one of these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300652800737?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2388wt_1396

Not super expensive, supposed to get to 110C, and I can pour the wort into a second pot to cool it down easier.

I've read that these things also can't hold a rolling boil, but those were on the Crown ones at 40L. This will obviously only be filling about half that. Plus the price is right (well, enough to avoid the wrath of SWMBO[innocent] ).

Has anyone got any thoughts into all this? any advice?

Thanks again guys [biggrin]

There is nothing stating that it HAS to be a 10L boil so why not just do a 6L boil?

I have no idea about that urn but I have the 40L crown with no problems.

or you can do a 10L boil in the pot you have and just keep a spray bottle of water close by. This will stop any boil overs.

imo though just do a 6L boil and it'll be right.

Well if it was up to me id be doin it on the barbie as i grew up with electric hotplates in tassie and hate them. Living on mainland now 8 years i love gas. I easy get 10 barbies out of a 9 kg gas bottle all 4 burners going maby 40 minutes each time. For a bottle of gas 35 odd bucks or whatever u pay where u are maby cheaper and easier than using expensive electric elements IMO it would be better gas is instant heat and easy to adjust. Also i dont think your one pot burner would use as much as me using 4 so should last a long time. Just dont let any flies get in there.

I recently moved into a new house that only has halogen hotplates, so I tried to do a 5L boil on the side burner of my bbq.

It really struggled. It was a gentle boil at best.

Beerbelly sell a gas burner that can handle up to full volume boils for $165, I'm thinking about buying one.

As for pots, BigW sell 19L pots for dirt cheap.

Thanks for the advice guys. After much discussion with SWMBO, I feel I really must do as the acronym suggest and obey her... I'll be sticking with what I have and try to deal with it lol

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, just had some more thoughts on this one after reading another forum [rightful] .

How would a foam camping mat go on the electric stove at boiling temperatures? Would I expect it to melt? Or should I look into something else like a car sun shade? I need to do this cheaply and quickly too [cool]

ta

A foam camp mat would be fine if it is only to lag. I probably wouldn't use it until I turn the heat off through risk of it touching the heat source. I know a lot of people who lag using camp mats etc.

My pot base is a fair bit larger than the hotplate, so I shouldn't have to worry about that too much. Although I probably wouldn't put it all the way to the bottom just in case [innocent]

I'm trying to keep as much heat in as possible to keep the boil rolling. I read somewhere that just a few rolls of alfoil around it can help a lot. I might try that instead... or both!

Archived