Coopers Community

How do you steep your grain???

Jarvo_325

How do you steep your grain

I have done it once but not sure if I did it right so I\u2019m seeing how others make the most of steeping grains and hoping they will share with me their wisdom to get the most flavour from the grain without producing any tannins etc.

Cheers

Thanks Yob

So do I put the grains in cold water put it on the hot plate till the reach around 70 degrees, do I need to keep them at that temp range for a bit?

How long would you keep them in water for?

Cool didn't know about the leave in cold water bit.

I'm far from an expert, but I've read that you should not stir the grain bag around and do not squeeze the bag to get the last of the liquid out. Just let it drain while holding it out of the wort.

Maybe someone with more experience could explain this better.

What they are probably referring to is over rinsing, over rinsing can leeds to tannin extraction from the husks, if you sparge to below about 1010 you will be extracting tannins.

If however you are not rinsing you do not run this risk and every drop can be squeezed out, I don't use a bag in the traditional way, I have a pot in a pot with a perforated bottom on the inner pot, this allows for a good sparge, my bag goes over the inner pot, hard to explain, will get some piccies of it.

Yob

What they are probably referring to is over rinsing, over rinsing can leeds to tannin extraction from the husks, if you sparge to below about 1010 you will be extracting tannins.

If however you are not rinsing you do not run this risk and every drop can be squeezed out, I don't use a bag in the traditional way, I have a pot in a pot with a perforated bottom on the inner pot, this allows for a good sparge, my bag goes over the inner pot, hard to explain, will get some piccies of it.

Yob

I think I can picture that. Great idea. I've done 4 batches using some grain. All but the first one came out good. On the first one, I kept stirring the grain bag and then sparged with hot water. Ended up quite bitter. Think I over did it.

You way allows the grain to stay looser also. Sounds good.

I have 2 set-ups, 1 for kits and bits (mostly partials these days[love] ) and 1 for AG ([love] [love] )

The pot in a pot system works really well and some lucky member here may well be offered it in the near future as I find myself doing less kits than All Grain brews these days.

Its a 20lt pot with a ?15? lt pot inside that just fits, all you need to do is lift the pot and sit it on a fridge rack and it drains great, (milled grain - NO COFFEE GRINDERS!!) and rinses well too, the bag on the outside of the pot catches most, if not all, the bits that go through the holes. You can also use a bag secured to the opening of the FV when straining the hops out of the wort when adding to the FV. Thoug usually I dont as it's just more to clean and Im a lazy shite [lol]

in fact Im going to be using that system tmoz so will document it and add it here. Im doing a Pimped Draught Kit with probably 3 hops and a kilo of base malt and a bit of spec grain.

Stay tuned.

Yob

I'm far from an expert, but I've read that you should not stir the grain bag around and do not squeeze the bag to get the last of the liquid out. Just let it drain while holding it out of the wort.

Maybe someone with more experience could explain this better.

I BIAB AG and stir and squeeze the bejesus out of it and have no problems.

However, to steep the grain is exactly how Yob said.... you can crack the grain with a morter and pestle or a rolling pin if need be.

you can crack the grain with a morter and pestle or a rolling pin if need be.

dont tell them that Bill, they need a mill [lol]

(whispers) he's right though, you can

[lol] [roll] [lol]

As promised.

There have been quite a few people ask recently about adding grains and hops to Coopers Kits. The process is often referred to as Kits and Bits or Partials depending on the ingredients you are adding.

Described below is a partial mash brew in which you combine base malt into the recipe to add additional flavour and freshen up the Kit Brew.

Below is a photo of the equipment I use. A pot in a pot with a perforated bottom. I use the grain bag over the pot.

28210464.th.jpg

26816928.th.jpg

I then boil the kettle 3 times and put 5-6 liters in the pot, while im fluffing about with grains etc to pot can slowly cool, doesn\u2019t take long.

Ingredients selected. I chose 1kg of Pale Malt + 400g Wheat Malt + 200g Crystal 60

27084342.th.jpg

Milling the grain, you can buy your grain pre milled or use other means, I like mills.

51573066.th.jpg

Milled grain into the bucket.

26082019.th.jpg

By now the pot water is roughly 70-72, I add the grains and stir until the whole lot is wet, the temps is about 66\u2019c which is about spot on

72806300.th.jpg

Then wrap the whole lot in a sleeping bag and a blanket to hold in the heat.

80940200.th.jpg

1 hour later it is unwrapped and temperature checked, it had only lost .5\u2019c which was great. Next we want to rinse or Sparge the grains. I use a fridge rack and a collander for this and slowly dribble the 80\u2019c water through the grains. About another 2 liters for this process.

37700213.th.jpg

Then its onto the burner for the boil. I also added 500g of the DME at this point.

89668672.th.jpg

Hops are chosen (previously and weighed out to their allotted times .

64252128.th.jpg

Mmm love that smell

65872674.th.jpg

Added indredients I feel are worthwhile

50955385.th.jpg

I have no photo\u2019s of this, but when it comes off the heat, I let sit for 10 minutes to allow the wort convections to stop, I then whirlpool it and leave for a further 15 mins to settle. I then siphon off the wort to a new pot, leaving behind the hops and any break material. It\u2019s fiddley to do but I think it\u2019s worthwhile.

The rest of the ingredients are added to the new pot including the kit, in this case the Draught Kit, my first time with this particular Kit.

63815296.th.jpg

Then it\u2019s off to the water bath to get it cool as quick as possible.

43725434.th.jpg

At this point I go ahead and rehydrate the yeast

24876592.th.jpg

Overnight the Yeast appear to be verry happy

62895771.th.jpg

Enjoy.

You can't beat the Marga with a spring water hopper imo. lol I have the same!!

Just curious Yob, how quick does it take you to mill a 5kg bill?

Depending on how fast I run the mill sometimes it takes a little to grip/feed the grain. You obviously use a drill?...

I think my drill is too quick!!... I have another that is low geared so I should try that next time.

A clear explaination for the noobs and a great way to enhance the Kits. Well done Yob!!

Yep, 10mm chopped spadebit fits in just perfect. I rekon it takes about 5-10 min depending on how fast i run it, i usually aim for quite slow but i havnt noticed much of a difference in the crush running faster (not flat out clearly)

To ne honest i think im going to make a motorized mill in the bucket, mount the mill on the lid, flick the switch and walk away, god im getting lazy [lol]

As promised.

There have been quite a few people ask recently about adding grains and hops to Coopers Kits. The process is often referred to as Kits and Bits or Partials depending on the ingredients you are adding.

Described below is a partial mash brew in which you combine base malt into the recipe to add additional flavour and freshen up the Kit Brew.

Below is a photo of the equipment I use. A pot in a pot with a perforated bottom. I use the grain bag over the pot.

28210464.th.jpg

26816928.th.jpg

I then boil the kettle 3 times and put 5-6 liters in the pot, while im fluffing about with grains etc to pot can slowly cool, doesn\u2019t take long.

Ingredients selected. I chose 1kg of Pale Malt + 400g Wheat Malt + 200g Crystal 60

27084342.th.jpg

Milling the grain, you can buy your grain pre milled or use other means, I like mills.

51573066.th.jpg

Milled grain into the bucket.

26082019.th.jpg

By now the pot water is roughly 70-72, I add the grains and stir until the whole lot is wet, the temps is about 66\u2019c which is about spot on

72806300.th.jpg

Then wrap the whole lot in a sleeping bag and a blanket to hold in the heat.

80940200.th.jpg

1 hour later it is unwrapped and temperature checked, it had only lost .5\u2019c which was great. Next we want to rinse or Sparge the grains. I use a fridge rack and a collander for this and slowly dribble the 80\u2019c water through the grains. About another 2 liters for this process.

37700213.th.jpg

Then its onto the burner for the boil. I also added 500g of the DME at this point.

89668672.th.jpg

Hops are chosen (previously and weighed out to their allotted times .

64252128.th.jpg

Mmm love that smell

65872674.th.jpg

Added indredients I feel are worthwhile

50955385.th.jpg

I have no photo\u2019s of this, but when it comes off the heat, I let sit for 10 minutes to allow the wort convections to stop, I then whirlpool it and leave for a further 15 mins to settle. I then siphon off the wort to a new pot, leaving behind the hops and any break material. It\u2019s fiddley to do but I think it\u2019s worthwhile.

The rest of the ingredients are added to the new pot including the kit, in this case the Draught Kit, my first time with this particular Kit.

63815296.th.jpg

Then it\u2019s off to the water bath to get it cool as quick as possible.

43725434.th.jpg

At this point I go ahead and rehydrate the yeast

24876592.th.jpg

Overnight the Yeast appear to be verry happy

62895771.th.jpg

Enjoy.

Thanks Yob, that very helpful

Just one question if I may ask.

I just wanted to make sure that after you have left the grain in the water for about an hour like you described and removed lefy over grain, you can then add some LDM bring it to the boil and then start adding your hops?

So boiling the water from the Grain and LDM won't impart any bad flavour.

Thanks

In the photo with the burner, It's described there...

Yes, after removing the grain I often add a bit of DME for the boil and then add my Hop additions.

No problem at all in doing this.

Yob

Archived