Coopers Community

bottling brew earlier than specified

davids40

hi,

im new to brewing.what is effect if i bottle my brew to early.it has been in fermenter for 5 days.foam has cleared.i plan on botlling it and leaving it to ferment further in botlle for 6-8 weeks

i am brewing the mexican cerveza

Welcome to the forum David,

Did you do a gravity check? If the brew has finished fermenting it will be ok, we generally like to leave the brew in the FV for another week so that the yeast can clean up & the beer will clear.

Your brew is finished fermenting when you have the same gravity reading over 2 days. Don't be in a hurry to get it into bottles, you will get better beer if you give it time in the FV.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi david im asuming you havent read the instructions that come in the top of the can i suggest u do. Have u taken gravity readings? 2 stable readings over 2 days means fermenting has finished and u can bottle if do it to early your bottles will explode. Bottoling beer and leaving it carbonates and conditions beer if stil fermenting you wont have any bottles left boom. Read your instructions

I would never bottle a beer unless it has finished fermenting. (unless by mistake of course) A part from the obvious, ie grenades, how would you know the carbonation level?

I know some people finish their fermentation process in a keg which, with the right timing, they carbonate the keg from the process. However, kegs have pressure relief valves as a safety issue. Never ever ever try finish fermenting in bottles. That is just asking for trouble imo

Archived