Coopers Community

Oddball dry hop method?

Jim

Was just browsing ebay for other reasons when I noticed this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-HOP-RANDALL-Beer-filter-ready-made-w-KEG-FITTINGS-/300393233250?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f0d4fb62

Being interested in hopping methods at the moment it caught my eye. Seems the guy is proposing the use of a standard 10 inch filter housing as kind of a giant hops teabag.

I'm not so keen on hopping the 'delivery' side as this guy is suggesting, since delivery might span days to weeks for me, but it got me curious as to whether anyone has attempted this sort of thing at the 'keg filling' part of the process. (Apologies to the bottling guys).

If this technique could perhaps even be integrated with regular filtering gear via a slow gravity-fed flow to end up with a hopped and nicely filtered product in the keg, does that sound reasonable? My first guess would be that no matter how slow the flow, the hops wouldn't have enough time to do their work, but..

Anyone tried cramming one side of their filter with hop pellets?

These are big things in the USA ATM I think there also called "The Hopinator". Its designed to be stuffed with fresh hop cones and when you pull a beer from your keg the beer passes through the hops and into your glass filled with fresh hop flavour. A must for all "Hop heads". Although they are manly used by the smaller craft brewers I can't see why they wouldn't be a problem for the home brewer as the hops also ast as a preservative.

There a story about them in the BYO mag. about a year ago, go to their site for more info on the "Hopinator".

Wouldn't that mean your first glass after a few days was absolutely loaded? As a hop noob I have no idea how long to expect hops to last under those conditions, but surely it can't be consistent over a period of weeks..

..can it?

Archived