Coopers Community

about yeast

chrisc28

gday new to this need help 6 days ago i put down a tooheys special lager using dextrose i did the same process as first to brews but i dont think this batch fermented with yeast and now wondering weather i should bottle and see or add more yeast then bottle any help appreciated thankyou

The yeast probably knows it's Tooheys and just committed suicide.. [biggrin]

But seriously, I'd take an SG reading today then same time tomorrow and see what the readings are. Did you take a reading before pitching the yeast?

If nothing has happened in the 6 days then possibly sanitise a spoon and give the wort a gentle stir.

What's the temps like? Also what were the pitching conditions like?

All good. From what I can see, if that's all you used, and filled it to 23L, you should've got an OG of about 1.038, and an FG of about 1.006

Give it a test and see how it's at. I'm not sure what type of yeast comes with that kit, but if it's a lager yeast, it's been fermenting too high (you want it about 12C).

No worries mate [cool] I'm quite new to the home brew scene too.

You'll find the guys on here are extremely helpful. And pretty much everything I said just there was regurgitated from their wisdom (not to say that their wisdom is vomit).

Give it some time in the bottle and you'll see a lot of those yeasty (foot) smells will die down. My first Cooper Lager that came in the DIY kit which was brewed all wrong is just over a month old now and is starting to be drinkable.

WHERE IS YOUR HYDROMETER?

If you have one then what are your readings..... sheesh, it amazes me how people can be confident when nothing is said about the most important tool there is for brewing.

Your Hydrometer is the tool that will tell you that it is ready for bottling.

Evryone knows that you need to stuff a kitten in the airlock to make it finish bill[lol]

On a serious note, why have you not used the hydrometer? As Bill rightly suggests it is the only way to know for sure, even with a few years of brewing under my belt I still use a hydrometer EVERY TIME.

Tooheys ehe, gawd, I can't even come at that when they make it let alone trying to reproduce it, still, everyones tastes are different but I bet in 6 months or so you wjll look back and wonder why the hell you EVER drank that muck,

Good luck

Archived