Coopers Community

started Russian Imperial Stout last night

CliffH1

I am making this one by the recipe from the "recipe section" here. It was made to 20 liters in a 38 liter fermenter. After 20 hours, the foam is up against the lid. I was expecting this after reading a few posts. Fortuanately, I have a sink in the cellar that is right at 18c to hold the fermenter for a couple days if the foam keeps going.

So just a warning to anyone else making this recipe....use a BIG fermenter vessel[wink]

I think this is going to be one great brew.

I am making this one by the recipe from the "recipe section" here. It was made to 20 liters in a 38 liter fermenter. After 20 hours, the foam is up against the lid. I was expecting this after reading a few posts. Fortuanately, I have a sink in the cellar that is right at 18c to hold the fermenter for a couple days if the foam keeps going.

So just a warning to anyone else making this recipe....use a BIG fermenter vessel[wink]

I think this is going to be one great brew.

[surprised

That's huge!

I made one of these and bottled it on Monday. It is now happily conditioning in its bottles. I used the DIY fermenting vessel with the lid clamped safely to the krausen kollar and two beer kits on top to weight it down! The foam filled all of the empty space but it had calmed down by day 3 so I removed the kollar and cleaned the lid, before I put it back on.

• 2 weeks later...

I started this Russian Imperial Stout on 22 February. Today, 3 March, fermentation appears to be finished. Starting SG was 1.084, final SG is 1.022 for an ABV of 8.2% if I figured it correctly.

Very dark and tasting my sample, at 20c and uncarbonated at this point, the brew is sweeter than I expected, but heavy, with lots of licorice, dark malt, and chocolate flavor with some coffee flavor.

I'll let it clear another week or two in the carboy, then bottle. It will be very interesting to see how this taste in the months ahead.

Archived