Coopers Community

Is it the yeast or me???

Jarvo_325

Hey

I normally only brew the Coopers International series these days which are supposed to come with better yeast or yeast that supposed to go with the brew, unlike the original series kits.

I\u2019m still not overly happy with my homebrews taste.

My last brew was a Pale ale, I added

250g of Crystal Malt

500g of LDM

250g of DEX

Plus dry hopped my brew

When though I added some grains and hops plus more malt, it still taste fairly similar to my box standard Coopers Cerveza and I don\u2019t know why.

I don\u2019t have my notes here but I pitched around 27 (I know a bit high) and it fermented at about 22.

Next brew I have changed the way I do it so I will pitch it at a lower temp, and hopefully ferment at a lower temp also.

However a question I have, would a better yeast that you buy separately LHBS make a big difference to a brew?

Yes... a thousand times Yes

All yeast produce different flavour compounds...

It's my personal opinion that the 7g packets will generally be an underpitch, of course this depends on your OG.

If you havnt already, check out Mr Malty and change the tab to dry yeast, punch in your OG and see how many grams of dry yeast it tells you to use.

For example

a 1040 wort at 20 liters requires 8 grams

a 1040 wort at 23 liters requires 10

a 1050 wort (my range) at 23 liters requires 12

Yob

safale US 05 is a poplular one i use myself on high gravity ales.

Thanks mate, and would that generally give you a better tasting beer than coopers yeast?

I guess ferment temps are more crucial with this type of yeast than coopers, right?

Yeah coopers yeast is a bit tougher temp whise i think US 05 likes to stay between 15 to 24 degrees celcius. In my opinion makes a better ale than a coopers yeast would and for about 6 bucks a 11.5 gram packet the extra yeast helps for High Gravity brews. BIll got me onto AHB site they have 24 grams of there US 05 version for 8 bucks or something meant to be very similar.

But to be honest i love the yeast in International Series you just have to wait the recomended 3 months in bottle for it to be at best.

Yeah coopers yeast is a bit tougher temp whise i think US 05 likes to stay between 15 to 24 degrees celcius. In my opinion makes a better ale than a coopers yeast would and for about 6 bucks a 11.5 gram packet the extra yeast helps for High Gravity brews. BIll got me onto AHB site they have 24 grams of there US 05 version for 8 bucks or something meant to be very similar.

But to be honest i love the yeast in International Series you just have to wait the recomended 3 months in bottle for it to be at best.

Thanks thats given me something to think about

Archived