Coopers Community

First time! is my beer infected?

oskarh

[quote=Nelson Amarillo

You are far more likely to encounter a weighting problem with a new Hydro. I suggest they are all designed to read low to enable calibration. I calibrated mine by cutting small pieces off the red tip.

Humm...all my hydrometers have been made from glass with a paper scale inside. No adjusting them. They do crack and/or break though. That is why I said "all"[crying]

I certainly agree that KNOWING how to use a hydrometer is important. Readings DO NOT go up with fermenting. Most likely there were some bubbles on the hydrometer.

Anyhow, testing of a hydrometer for correctness is actually done using distilled water at 20C. Any other water or temperature may not be acurate.

As far as I've ever been taught, if a hydrometer is off by any number....it is off that number all the time at any reading...IF the temperature stays constant. As always, 2 variables make 2 variations[lol]

Yes, but if the error is caused by, say, a tiny hole in the hydrometer, the errors could fluctuate wildly over time. If it's just bad weighting or calibration, of course it will be consistently off.

To be honest, if the reading is off because of the hydrometer taking on liquid then you would get wild differences. However, if the reading is off by only a few points and is always out by this, then my original statement stands. i.e. the same results will be the outcome and if you don't know how to read a hydrometer then your are FUBARed regardless if it is out or not.

Sorry Cliff

I was talking about Oskarh's situation. He has the DIY kit that comes with a plastic hydrometer.

hahaha lid is on again :D hydometer reding: (day2 1036) (day3 1027) (day4 1013) (day5 1012) (day6 1011) and today day 7 back to 1012 again and after 5 minutes it floats up to 1015 :S. Since im using a wood boiler to heat my home the temprature indoors ranges a bit from 19-22.5. I think today it tasted somewhat better not as yeasty but still dont taste so much beer hehe. should i wait a couple of more days to bottle?

Archived