Coopers Community

Canadian Blonde, advice on temps etc...

SeanS4

Hi All, I just picked up a can of Coopers Canadian, plus some BE1. My ninth brew (8 looking good, first is a bit of a challenge to drink). I'm hoping for a bit of advice... I've just setup a controlled brew fridge so I can move on from ales and stouts when I want something different in the pipeline. Decided against a European Lager as 12 weeks + in the bottle is a bit ambitious at this early stage of stockpiling. Did a google search of this site and checked the 'how to brew' recipes, this one does not feature there, still have questions.

I'm using the can yeast, which seems to be ale yeast[unsure] . So do I brew it like an ale and just stick to the general temp range in the can leaflet, or can I get some benefit from using a more controlled temperature? If it's worth using the fridge, what sort of settings and timing should I go for to get a good result? I don't mind a bit of a wait on primary ferment if it helps things. 23C ambient temp in the house for next few days. Cheers.

Temperature control is one of the best things you can do to improve your brewing. With the ale kit yeast provided, you will get the best results at around 18 - 20 degrees. I normally do a progress hydrometer reading after a week and bottle at 10 - 14 days if stable.

The Euro Lager is a great kit, worth a bit of patience if you like the style. You need to ferment that one below 15 degrees if you can, may take a bit longer, and does benefit from a bit longer in the bottle.

Dan

Archived