Coopers Community

Grain With A Kit

brada7

Hey brewers I have picked up some dark crystal grain for my next stout. One set of instructions is to steep for 30min and others say bring grain to boil and then simmer for 30. Big difference in temps over 30 min. Any suggestions?[pouty]

do not boil the grain...

if you value time, steep it it cold water overnight, rinse with a litre (or so) of 75'c water in the moning..

then boil... ad hops... ferment... drink... fall over [lol]

Sorry Yob, Im a little lost, the grain I have is already cracked, does that make a difference?

Are you saying to steep overnight and then only boil the extracted liquid?. Have I left this question a little late after closing[roll]

you can either steep in hot water for 30 min (to 1 hr) or cold water overnight, (with the hot water rinse) crystal grains, not grains that require mashing.. clearly..

crystals are extracting sugars only, mashing requires coversoin of the starch to sugars... really depends on the grain you have

I really like the cold water overnight (crystals) as it means less to do on brew day [lol]

all grains, require cracking before steeping/mashing

[rightful]

do not boil the grain...

Are you saying to steep overnight and then only boil the extracted liquid?.

Yes boil only the extracted liquid. After your initial steep, strain the wort into another pot, then rinse the grains (through the strainer) as Yob said. Toss the grains and boil the liquid. If boiling hops the spreadsheet will advise on how much extra DME or LME is required to bring your liquid (wort) up to 1.040.

Archived