Coopers Community

Clouldy european lager??

AustinF

Hi guys, im new to brewing at home. I have just made my 3rd brew a european lager. i bottled it just then and it was cloudly. Just wondering if i did somthing wrong. I live in perth and it was around 36-42c over my fermentation period i did my best to keep the temp as low as possible around 26c. Was just wondering if somthing has gorn wrong or if it is a cloudy lager?

The Euro lager kit comes with a true lager yeast - fermentation temps really should be below 15 degrees. Brewed at 26 it might taste a bit funny.

The cloudiness probably wont be an issue, the Euro lager needs about 3 months in the bottle before drinking, and the yeast sediment tends to settle and compact.

I did pretty much the same thing early on, so don't stress. lagers really need a fridge and temp control set up unless you brew in winter. Ale yeast is a lot more forgiving!

Hi guys' date=' im new to brewing at home. I have just made my 3rd brew a european lager. I live in perth and it was around 36-42c over my fermentation period i did my best to keep the temp as low as possible around 26c. [/quote']

Austin, as you are new to brewing, please do not come to the assumption that good beer can not be brewed. This Lager you did will not turn out very nice whatsoever due to the very high ferment temps. However, you need to look past this and try for a much better brew next time.

I certainly suggest not doing a beer with a Lager yeast if you can't maintain a temperature less than 15C, at most. Stick to the Ales for now and try get that temperature even lower for your Ales.. ie aounrd 20C will definitly imrove your brew.

For now I wouldn't worry about hops or specialty grains as you need to control those high temps. Once you get this under control then look to proceed with hops boils and grain additions.

Good luck and if there is anything that you need help with don't be afraid to ask.

Archived