Coopers Community

IBU's

brada7

Hey Brewers,

I have read somewhere on this site (Coopers)that there is a formula for converting the total IBUs of a kit into the glass. Eg Coopers Stout kit is 710 IBU. The formula is 1.7 (kg) x 710 divided by the litres you are brewing to or as recommended 23 giving you per glass IBU's (52). This is handy for me because i brew down to lower water volume and it is vital that the bitterness doesnt get out of hand.

To the point, I was told that Guiness IBUs were about 44 and I try to use this as a guide. Can anyone advise otherwise or know of a scale of well known brands?[innocent]

I am farly sure that the crappest beer in history but for some reason sells alot is VB at only 22 IBU Cascade premium lager is 25 IBU i had a big list somewhere but cant find it that is all i can remember of the top of my head

Maximus, Its almost quite comical that "that beer" calls itself a bitter. One of the reasons my question came about was because Malt Shovel (James Squire) came out with a sort of bitterness and colour chart which had Guiness as being more bitter than Coopers Stout. Unless Guiness is higher than 50 IBU or there about then this is incorrect.

Sorry i dont get into stouts at all so cant help u there i understand what u mean 99% of Autralian beers are wrongly named purely for marketing where in Europe and America a Bitter is a Real Bitter Ale and then the pilsners for the bitter lagers. And dont get me started on putting the word draught on a can when it means keg set up lol

The BJCP style guide has IBU ranges for beer types, and is useful for recipe planning:

BJCP style guide

According to that a foreign extra stout (ie Coopers) is likely to more bitter than a dry stout like Guinness.

Thanks Kearnage. That helps. Again applying this sites IBU formula to a two can Stout mix which I have seen some refer to, it would read 3.4 (two kits) x 710 / 23 = 104 IBU which even puts it outside the upper limit of 90 for a Russian Imperial?

Thanks Kearnage. That helps. Again applying this sites IBU formula to a two can Stout mix which I have seen some refer to' date=' it would read 3.4 (two kits) x 710 / 23 = 104 IBU which even puts it outside the upper limit of 90 for a Russian Imperial?[/quote']

You lose 10 - 30% of bitterness during fermentation according to the FAQ's, and I think a bit more bottle ageing, but it's going to have a little bitterness, yes!

Archived