Coopers Community

How do you improve "thinness" or watery feel of kit beers?

StephenN5

Lay your hands on some crystal malt, lay your hands on some Wheat Malt Extract, Lay your hands on Light Dry Malt extract, reduce Dex to 300g max... Forget about the BE's (sorry coopers but they dont really add to a brew in my experience) and replace with a Kilo of LDME...

steep the grains (overnight in cool water if you want), rinse with hot (not boiling water) add 100g of LDME per llt of liquid and boil for 20 min (hops too if you are adventurous... I certainly do)

mix the rest of the ingredients and ferment as usual.

Adding extra malts and a BIT of maltodex and wheat malt will make a hell of a difference to the final product.

pretty much as said above with a few helpful tips for process...

For the Maltodextrine I use carapils grain.

so a typical addition for me would read like this

Kit +

750g LDME +

200g carapils +

200g Crystal 60 +

200g Wheat malt +

200g Dex

+ loads of freakin Hops

Delicious

Do you use this recipe on all the coopers kits?

When doing kits, I usually used the APA can, a real ale or stout may be slightly different, ie: chocolate malt replaces crystal malts and probably omit the malto Dex (carapils) but essentially yes, all my kit brews are pimped with spec grain, dry malt and hops. And always a specialty yeast.

Mmmmmm hops[love]

It must be said too that I've recently had some 'very' serious all grain brewers review one of my kit (& bits) brews and they were astonished to discover it wasn't an AG brew.. I take that as a job well done, most of these guys can pick a kit brew from the next timezone.

Kit beers, if treated right can, and do, win awards

Yob

Archived