Coopers Community

Optimum Boiling Volume

ColmR

Hi all. This is a question about extract brewing. I bought a few cans of Coopers malt extract in my first purchase from the homebrew store and I'm keen to try an extract brew (I've done two kits so far).

From what I've read here there is an optimum amount of fermentables that should be in the boil with the hops. I'm presuming this is to optimise hop extraction.

I'm planning on using 1 tin of light and 1 tin of amber extract in the brew along with some DME and crystal malt. My largest stock pot is 10L. So I'm thinking of steeping the grain in a few litres of water. Drain that into the pot and add in about half of each of the tins of extract and top up as much as possible with water for the boil. After the boil I'd transfer to the FV, stir in the rest of the fermentables and top up with cold water.

Any suggestions as to whether or not this would be ok? Really appreciate anything you can tell me here.

Colm

optimim utilisation from all that i have read is a 1040 boil or such, give or take a little. for a 10l pot, and indeed in general, a 6lt boil is reccomended. this can be achieved by 600g DME or less with additional grains, get a hold of IANh's spreadsheet to help you know what you are extracting from what grains, note that it only deals with crystal grains and not grains that require mashing... er.. link HERE...

helped me no end to begin to understand the little bits and pieces.

Yob

Archived